☆ TWENTY ☆

chapter songthe killers: midnight show"i know there's a hope / there's too many people trying to help me cope"

chapter song
the killers: midnight show
"i know there's a hope / there's too many people trying to help me cope"

1983

The phone was blaring loud and Nikki was painfully hungover. He groaned as he rolled over to take the phone off the hook. "Hello?" He rubbed his eyes to ease the glare of the light.

"Nikki," El cried.

He sat up in panic. "El!? What's wrong?"

"I need to-I've gotta-I can't," she was gasping for air. Her throat was closing up and she was clawing at her neck.

"Baby, you've gotta breathe and tell me what's wrong," the worry was already beginning to eat at him.

"I need to go home," she was sobbing.

"Sweetheart, what happened?"

"Ezra is out of control! My ex ... thing is here as his supplier and I need to be anywhere but here or I'm gonna fuck up," she didn't know how she had any tears left. "I need you. I need to see you. Please! I have to get out of here!"

Nikki didn't know what to do. First of all, he was furious with Ezra. Over the last couple of years, he had really started to be a dick to El and Nikki had frankly had enough of it. Second of all, he had half a mind to get on a plane and give this drug dealer a piece of his mind. And by piece of mind, he meant a fist to the face.

"Baby, what can I do?" He whimpered. It was killing him that he couldn't be there for her.

"If I don't come home, I'm gonna fuck up, Nikki. I know I am."

"Don't go home, come here to me," he replied as wrapped the phone cord around his fingers.

She was silent for a moment as she seriously considered jumping on the next plane and getting away from this fucking band, but she knew the consequences to those actions and it didn't bode well for her or the rest of them. "I can't," she sniffled, "this tour is too important."

"Well, obviously not to Ezra! And if you're in danger, you need to prioritize yourself and get the fuck out of there and if anybody gives you any problems, I'll beat their ass," Nikki reasoned.

"I don't know, I'll sleep on it. I'll call you tomorrow. I'm sorry for bothering you with this," she replied flatly. She was positively drained.

"El," he sighed, "that was the dumbest thing you've ever said to me. You're my girl. You're supposed to call me in times like this."

"I love you, and I miss you more than you know."

"I'm sure I've got a pretty good idea," he laughed lightly. "I love you, Eleanor. Just take a breather and avoid Ezra at all costs. We'll figure this out."