Chapter 11

39

Gwen stood outside charging her goober. It had been a surprisingly uneventful trip, she thought, maybe our luck is finally turning.

Then there was a shout of pain from inside the cave. Gwen spun around and ran inside the cave. Miles and Miguel were glitching their faces contorted in pain. Miguel’s glitch ended a few seconds before Miles’s did. Gwen wanted to stay and comfort them but it wouldn’t help them. She ran back outside holding her gizmo up to the sky. Suddenly it beeped and vibrated. She dropped it in surprise. She fired a web stopping it from hitting the muddy ground. She tapped the gizmo, she had over 100 missed calls and over 200 texts. Gwen swiped until she found the icon to open a portal. She tapped it but a message popped up saying, “Not enough power”.

Gwen growled in frustration. She stormed back into the cave and looked at Miguel. “It says there’s not enough power to open a portal,” she snapped.

Miguel adjusted himself wincing as he did, “Then there’s not enough energy to open a portal. There should be an app that tells you what earth we’re on. Then just text one of the others and they’ll pick us up”.

Gwen sighed with relief. “Ok,” she said and started fidgeting with the gizmo.

“Kids,” sighed Miguel, “Give them an advanced piece of technology and they’ll learn how to use it, but then stop”.

“Peni made a better version of what you did,” pointed out Miles.

Miguel didn’t have a response to that.

“Ok it’s sent,” proclaimed Gwen.

They all sighed with relief, “Well they should be here in a few minutes then,” said Miguel.

    Peter B had gone back to Aunt May’s to brainstorm with the others, Doc Ock had been a bust she had no way to find them. They sat around the table none of them having an idea when their gizmos all beeped at once. They looked at them it was a text from Gwen in the group chat. “On Earth-99476”.

They all rushed to open a portal to the earth but Peni had the fastest fingers. She opened the portal and looked at them expectantly. “Come on”.

They went through the portal and arrived at the mouth of the cave. A small fire illuminated the scene. Miguel was asleep, he looked rough and his suit was covered in rips but otherwise, he looked fine. What drew all their attention was the sight of Miles laying on the ground shirtless with Gwen kneeling over him. “Miles I have to check them,” she said.

Peter B, Porker, and Peni all stared at them jaws hanging open. Noir was the only one who didn’t seem surprised, then again he rarely showed any emotion.

Noir cleared his throat. Miles and Gwen bolted apart and looked at the sound.

Peter shook his head and started laughing, “I’m not even going to ask. Let’s get you kids home”.

Miguel who had woken up when Noir cleared his throat gave Peter a baleful look. “What am I chopped liver?” he asked.

    Peter helped Miles walk through the portal while Penny and Noir helped Miguel. “We need to get you guys to a hospital,” said Peter.

Miles plopped down in a chair sighing in relief. “I’ll call my dad. He has a friend that’s a doctor”. Miles made the call, his dad picked up before the second ring.

“Miles, Miles are you ok? What happened? Where are you?” asked his dad frantically.

Miles wiped away tears, “Hey Dad, I’m…not great but not to bad. Listen we need a doctor who won’t tell anyone about us”.

“Miles what happened?” asked his dad.

“There was a fight, I swear I’m ok just a scratch,” said Miles.

Gwen and Peter looked at him skeptically. Miles shot them a glare.

“Ok,” said Jefferson, “Where are you, I’ll take you and your friends to the hospital”.

Miles looked for Aunt May to ask her for the address, but he twisted at the wrong angle and hissed in pain as he almost tore his “stitches”.

“Miles what was that?” asked his dad.

“Nothing,” managed Miles with his teeth clenched. “It’s in Queens I’ll text you the address”.

His dad sighed, “Ok, I’ll be there in a few minutes. Just need to make a few calls”.

Miles hung up. He asked Aunt May for the address, Peter webbed Miles’s phone away and text it to Jefferson. Then he tossed it back to Miles. “He’ll be here in a few minutes,” said Miles.

They all nodded in understanding, nobody doing much of anything.

The doorbell rang.

They all faced the door spidey senses tingling.

“That’s not him,” said Miles trying to get out of the chair.

Peter opened the door, standing in the doorway was the Spider-Monster. “FOOD!” it yelled.

“Bad guy,” said Miguel.

Peter grabbed a peppermint from a dish next to the door. “Have a breath mint you could use it”.

The creature roared in anger and swiped at Peter. Peter ducted the attack. He kicked the Spider-Monster into the road. The other two Peters joined him by the door.

“Time to dance,” said Noir.

The monster looked at the three of them and started to run away.

The Peters nodded and chased after it.

“That could be trouble,” muttered Miguel.

“What do you mean,” asked Aunt May concern written all over her face.

“How did he get here, and is he alone?” asked Miguel.