Chapter 34

5

WARNING: THIS CHAPTER IS PRETTY GRAPHIC AND VERY GRITTY. PLEASE DO NOT READ IF THIS WILL TRIGGER YOU. THIS ESPECIALLY APPLIES TO PEOPLE WHO ARE TRIGGERED BY WAR LIKE INJURIES.

    Peter B. tried to open his eyes but he was unable to. He patted his hand and felt fabric underneath it. He tried to move but massive pain shot throughout his body and he let a scream.

    He heard people running into the room, but he couldn’t hear them over his own screams.

    The doctor injected the tranquilizer in the IV and Peter who had been arched up screaming collapsed back down onto the bed.

    Miles and Gwen held each other’s hands as they looked at their friend, or at least what was left of him. His left leg was almost completely gone, just a stub of a thigh was left. His other leg was missing from just under the knee. From what they could see of his chest from the hospital gown was just a collection of burnt skin and scars from shrapnel. His face had several scars which cut across it, and everything below the elbow on his left arm was gone. His hair was matted and missing large chunks.

    Miles felt nausea rising up in him as he looked at his friend. He closed his eyes willing tears to come. Instead, Miles saw Peter’s smiling face, “Not bad kid”.

    Miles spun on his heels and stormed out of the room. In the waiting room sat Mary Jane who was sobbing, Miguel, Morbius, Penny, Otto, Billy, Ben, Aunt May who Miguel had given a gizmo, and several other people, a few of whom looked vaguely familiar. Ham under Miguel’s insistence was confined to the rafters.

    “Miles,” said Gwen softly chasing after him.

    The doctor looked at both of them and then to the people in the waiting room. “The next two can go in”.

    A man with a thin, white goatee stood up and walked into the room, a woman with long white hair by his side.

    Miles walked back them and shoved the door to the stairwell. It snapped off the top hinge and hung awkwardly as Gwen chased after him. “MILES!” she yelled her voice echoing in the stairwell.

    Miles ignored her, he just ran up the stairs tears streaming down his face. He shoved open the door to the roof. He began pacing and muttering to himself.

    “MILES,” shouted Gwen as she shoved the door open.

    Miles spun to face her, his eyes bloodshot and his face streaked with tears. “It’s my fault”.

    Tears prickled at Gwen’s eyes, “No, no it isn’t”.

    “Yes it is,” roared Miles. He kicked the edge of the roof. “I should have fought better, I should have been more powerful, I should have warned him that I failed!”

    “You didn’t fail,” said Gwen, “We did”.

    “What’s the difference?!” yelled Miles.

    “If we couldn’t beat her together you couldn’t do it alone. And how could you have known that she would do this?” said Gwen.

    “I should have!” yelled Miles. He began pacing again, “I should have known, I should have thought, I should have-

    Gwen kissed him cutting him off. Miles’s eyes widened and Gwen broke off the kiss, red creeping into her cheeks. She chuckled, “You can’t know everything”.

    Miles stood there his mouth agape for several seconds before he responded, “Well I didn’t know you were doing that”.

    They both began to laugh until the tears they shed for Peter were joined by more. “We can get her though,” said Gwen.