Chapter 15

33

    The three of them stood on the roof Aaron was still tied up, Miles was pacing and Gwen gave him space. Miles stopped in front of Gwen, “You said I didn’t exist here”.

    “I didn’t think that you did,” said Gwen.
    Miles sighed and rubbed his temples trying to think.

    “How are you alive?” asked Aaron.

    Miles and Gwen both spun to face him, Aaron was looking straight at Miles.

    Aaron breathed deeply shaking as he did. “There was gang shooting just over eight years ago. Some stray bullets hit you and your mother”. Tears flowed freely from Aaron’s face. “So how is my dead six year old son standing in front of me, almost a man”.

    Gwen opened a map of the multiverse on her gizmo. She explained the multiverse to Aaron he nodded along looking at Miles nearly the whole time.

    “So you’re not my son,” said Aaron deflating.

    Miles nodded unable to speak.
    “I’m your nephew,” said Miles. He talked about his dad and mom. Aaron was surprised to hear that his brother was a police officer, Earth-65’s Jefferson had been the one to go down the criminal path.

    When Miles was finished Aaron looked at Gwen. “Let me guess, you’re his girlfriend and not a murder”.

    Gwen and Miles both blushed furiously and insisted that they were just friends. Aaron looked at them with a raised eyebrow but didn’t comment. Then Gwen explained what had happened with Peter.

    She didn’t tear up, noticed Miles.

    Aaron nodded. He looked straight into Miles’s eyes, “What do you need?”

    A portal opened up in Miguel’s universe. He watched. Gwen stepped through, Miles stepped through, and then the Prowler stepped through.

    “It worked,” said Miguel surprised.

    Miguel and Aaron introduced themselves. 

    Aaron immediately began checking out technology that Miguel had laying around his engineer’s mind going into overdrive.

    Miguel winced as he watched but he didn’t say anything.

    “He’ll need a gizmo,” said Miles.

    Miguel nodded, “I’ll have him one in a couple hours”.

“Where are the others?” asked Gwen.

    “They went home, last days they may spend with their families,” said Miguel.
    “What about you?” asked Gwen.

    Miguel shrugged, “I only have Layla and you guys”.

    Gwen looked at him her gaze filled with sympathy.

    “Don’t do that, I don’t want sympathy and I don’t like people. So go home and hope it’s not the last time you see your dad,” snapped Miguel.

    Gwen flinched and walked back to Miles and Aaron. She tapped Miles on the shoulder and he spun to face her a surprised look on his face.

    “I’m gonna head home. I’ll call you in a few hours,” she said.

    Miles nodded, “Ok, see you a few”.

    Gwen gave him a parting smile and opened a portal back her dimension. She stole one last glance at Miles and she was surpurised to see that he was looking at her. She looked away blushing and jumped through.