chapter 19

"It was so funny you were just complete ass." Jack laughed. I rolled my eyes playfully, "Well sorry that I've never played fortnite before." He glared at me, "Well you should have told me that before I let you play on my account. Now everyone thinks I suck." he whined. I smirked, "Aw you wanna impress those 11 year olds so bad." I teased.

"Ok I really don't like you" I laughed as I blew a kiss at the computer screen. 

Its been two weeks since Jack officially asked me to be his girlfriend, and it's been the best two weeks of my life. I'm genuinely happy. We talk and FaceTime every single day. We haven't told anyone yet, not the rest of the guys, my parents, not even Mari. It's still pretty early, and we don't want to jinx it by telling everyone.

  Well, I wouldn't mind telling Mari, since obviously she's my best friend. But I haven't told her, because she just hasn't talked to me since that day. I've tried  texting her, but she just gives short answers, and always says she can't talk. I know somethings up, because we've never gone more than 2 days without talking.

"Lanes, I have to tell you something." Jack  said, his upbeat mood from earlier obviously gone. "What's wrong?" I asked. My heart started beating really fast, and my mind immediately thought of the worst possible scenarios. 

"So, the actual World Juniors tournament starts next week," he started. "...Yeah?" I said hesitantly. "Well, they IIHF people sent out that they're moving it to be held in Canada." he finished. 

My heart dropped, "Oh." was all I said. He paused a second, before speaking again. "Yeah apparently the arena where it was supposed to be didn't work out." he said. 

"how long are you guys gonna be gone?" I asked. He paused again. "Jack?" I pried. "over a month. We're gonna be there for Christmas and New Years." he said quietly.

"Oh." was all I could say again. "Laney, I'm-i'm sorry. I know we just started dating and a long distance thing is the last thing we need-" I cut him off. "no stop," I rapidly shook my head and forced a smile on my face, "It's not your fault. Its ok seriously. You gotta go kick everyone's butt." I joked.

He gave me an unconvinced look, "Are you sure you're ok?" he asked. I let out an airy laugh, "yes Hughesie I'm ok. Its just a month, I'll survive." I lied. I could see his eyes drop a bit and I instantly felt bad. 

"Oh, ok. Yeah you're right. It's just a month." He smiled, but I could see sadness behind it that made my heart break.  I was about to open my mouth when my dad yelled from downstairs. I rolled my eyes, "Yeah dad!" I yelled back. 

"Dinner's ready, and we have to talk about something so get your ass down here!" he yelled. I sighed as I looked back at the computer screen. "Jack I-"  He shooed me with his hand, "It's fine go, go. You know better not to mess with Pat." he slightly laughed. 

"Ok. Hey I'll call you back later ok?" I asked. "Um, actually I think the guys and I have to get to bed early for our early flight. I'll call you in the morning before I go." he said, looking everywhere but the camera. 

"Oh. Ok." I said quietly. "Bye Laney." he said, and ended the call after he sent me one last smile. 

I groaned loudly as I slammed my face into my pillow. "AHHHHHHHH!" I screamed into it as I kicked my legs up and down. 

Why am I an idiot and an asshole. Not telling him you're sad when you actually are is one thing, but basically telling me you don't need him for a month. GOD YOU ARE AN IDIOT.

I gathered myself together before heading downstairs to the kitchen. "Finally. I only called you like an hour ago." my dad said. I rolled my eyes and slumped into the chair. I was not in the mood for his shit.