chapter 23

Important A.N at bottom its long but please read

Laney's POV

As I was walking to my room, I got a call from my mom. "Hello?" 

"Hey Laney, listen. The IIHF has organized an all-tournament dinner tonight before the games start." she said. I furrowed my eyebrows, "yeah we already know about the dinner, the guys just told us. Mari's already in the shower. But what do you mean 'all-tournament'?" I asked.

"Well apparently the whole restaurant is closed off for the night and is reserved for the players and staff of each team in the tournament. They want to coaches to all meet and talk in a normal setting before they're at each others throats I guess." she chuckled at the last part.

" But all the teams are going too?" I asked. 

"Mhm. I'm not exactly sure how its set up, but I think each table will be reserved for a specific team. But there will be one table for all of the coaches. Not sure how well that will work out."

" Well, anyway. The reservation is in about 2 hours. The boys are all riding together on the bus and have a very strict time they have to leave according to your father. You know how he gets with time." I could practically hear her eyes roll. "And I'm almost 100% sure that you and Mari will not make that time, so we'll go in the car. But please try to be ready in an hour and a half ok?" she asked.

 "Hour an a half got it." I nodded my head. "I'm serious Laney, no later." she warned. I smirked, she knows us all too well. "Ok ok I promise. I'm gonna get ready now I'll call you when we're done. Love you." I reassured her. 

"Oh, and by the way. This is supposedly a very nice and fancy restaurant. I hear the boys are going to be looking very snazzy" she said, and I could tell she was wiggling her eyebrows over the line. "So no jeans or sweatpants ok? I know the word fancy doesn't mean much to you,  but please try." she said 

I held my heart jokingly, "Ouch mom, where's the faith" I asked. 

"bye Laney," she laughed.

Once I hung up, I let out a big sigh and covered my face in my hands. No way I'm about to go to dinner surrounded by a bunch of overly attractive hockey players. I'm not cut out for this. 

"Woah, what's wrong with you?" Mari said as she came into my room with a towel wrapped around her body and hair. "Marianna, whatever you have planned for your outfit, rethink." I said through my hands. 

"why?" she asked. I took my hands away and sat up. "Because we aren't just going to dinner with our guys. It's a fancy shmancy dinner with every fucking team in the tournament." I said. 

"what!" she yelled as she fumbled and almost dropped her towel around her body, but she quickly recovered. "you're joking." she said. I shook my head slowly, "nope". 

Her eyes widened, "oh god." she whispered. And suddenly she turned on her heel and ran out of my room, "I need a WAY better outfit!" I heard her yell from the hallway. 

I groaned one last time before walking over to my bathroom to shower.

Once I was out of my 45 minute shower, which consisted of washing my hair, shaving every square inch of my body, and scrubbing my body to death with my loofa 10 times, I wrapped a towels around my body and hair, and walked over to my suitcase that I have yet to unpack. 

I looked over all of the folded clothes, "Ok Laney. Time to actually look like a girl for once. Shouldn't be that hard." I said to myself. 

I began digging through the piles and piles of folded clothes. "no, nope, definitely not," I said as I threw clothes in every direction. Just as I thought it was hopeless, my eyes landed on something I totally forgot I packed.