Chapter Thirteen - Into the Fray

A/N: (Not as delayed as I thought it would be ehehe.) So this is it! The battle between Loki and his army and The Avengers. The battle will cover a few chapters, probably in Ava and Steve's view, perhaps a little Tony or Loki too. In the forthcoming battle chapters, the great truth will be told, so watch out! This is dedictaed to theavengersgirl, for her lovely comment on the previous chapter, thank you! @CelticLands, I was going to update it later on, when we have our weird and wonderful conversations but sadly, I won't be able to, so here it is now. 

Enjoy and have a wonderful day/night! Love, abbiemca x

+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Chapter Thirteen - Into the Fray

Steve was sitting beside me in the high tech plane, he seemed calm and collected but I was rigid with fear and anxiety. He turned to face me every so often, just to make sure I was alright.

I didn't like this. I'm not going to lie, I was terrified. I didn't want to do this, it was alright for Steve, he had training and stuff, Fury had only given me twenty minutes target practice with my new powers. How is that going to work?

Soon enough, too soon if you ask me, the plane landed a came to a standstill. Steve and I clambered out of the aircraft and stepped into the slight breeze of New York city. It looked pretty normal to me. Yellow cabs were driving past us, people were bustling about and the flashing lights of the billboards were as bright as ever.

I contemplated getting back into the plane, and telling Fury he had got his facts wrong.

But he hadn't.

All of a sudden, up on Stark tower, a beam of bright blue light shot up into the sky like a laser. It hit the sky, and it began to part. Were the laser had hit, was no longer pale blue sky, with fluffy white clouds, it was an expanded space of well...space. You could just about see the twinkling stars in what I was assuming was a portal.

Of course, I assumed correctly.

Once the portal had opened to its full size, beings began to shoot through. They were skeletal beings, with armoured bodies, plates of metal that seemed to just grow naturally on them. The aliens screeched a battle cry, opening their mouths wide to reveal a mouth not unlike a black hole framed with jagged, decaying teeth.

They were riding some sort of aircraft, which looked very similar to their body armour. They were all open roofed , and the aliens were sat on them like a large motorbike. There were two or three to each regular sized aircraft, four or five to the larger ones.

As their crafts landed, I could get a better look at them. They were more than just skeletal. They were basically bones, apart from the peeling, rotten skin covering them. They were tall, and moved with their knees bent, crouched over in a constant battle stance. They all held weapons in their arms, which were nothing like I had ever seen.

Some of them held long sceptres, with blue beams streaming up the side, powering them, I assumed they would work just like Loki's sceptre. Others held futuristic guns, with the same blue of the sceptres running up their side. They looked almost like Coulson's gun, but smaller and silver.

Steve had told me they were called 'The Chitauri'. How he knew that, I had no idea and I wasn't in the mindset to bother asking stupid questions. As the Chitauri quickly adapted to their surroundings, the ones that dismounted the air crafts charged through the streets of New York, attacking innocent people and not seeming satisfied until they screeched in terror. Some didn't dismount their air crafts and carried zooming through the sky to the other end of the city.

I guess this is where Steve and I come in. We glanced at each other and nodded, both of our suits gleaming brightly in the sunlight. We advanced forward, as the Chitauri began to recklessly destroy New York. Four skeletal beings ran at us, two with sceptres, two with guns, I took the ones with the sceptres, Steve took the guns.