Chapter Sixteen - Parting Ways

A/N: This, unfortunately, is the final chapter of this book. Sad times, I know. However, there will be an epilogue, and dare I say it, maybe a sequel. This chapter is dedicated to every single one of you who have read, voted and commented on my story :) Enjoy the final chapter and have a wonderful day/night, love abbiemca x

+*+*+*+*+*+*

Ava's View 

The day after was possibly even more painful than the actual day. The day of action was swamped with so much adrenaline that focusing on feelings and emotions was extremely difficult. Well, not including my time with Loki. 

I missed him already and he hasn't even gone home yet, but unfortunately, I've been banned from seeing him in his room. Yeah, I know, since when have rules ever stopped me? Trust me, I've tried to see him, but they have guards on his room. I've tried impersonating people, but thanks to my previous antics, the guards know what I'm like. I tried teleporting too, but that didn't work, Fury had put a block on inhuman abilities around the room. Of course, after one more attempt, the guards had given up with escorting me back to the main part of the base and told me to walk on my own (we were on ground base now) simply because they were sick of walking me about the place. 

I snarled and started muttering to myself under my breath. I didn't see what their problem was, why couldn't I just see him? I'd asked numerous people this, and all of them gave me a different answer. Tony's was: "Because they don't want any God/Mutant babies." Bruce's was: "Because neither of you can be trusted." Thor's was: "My brother needs some alone time to think about his actions." Each and every one of them was definitely not in any way, a valid reason for me not to see Loki. I didn't ask Steve, for obvious reasons. 

So, my day was spent wallowing in self pity and sulking; like the child that I am. Of course, I ended up bumping into Steve in the middle of base. Well, I say 'bumped into', but really, I was playing Space Invaders on Agent Hil's computer and he pulled me off it and started moaning. 

"What do you want?" I groaned, happily clicking away at the computer. Steve frowned. 

"You didn't do as I asked," He said quietly. 

"Excuse me?" 

"I asked you-" Steve began, but he almost swallowed his words. "I asked you not to...well, fall in love with Loki..." As he said this I could feel my cheeks burning. I tried to fix my eyes on the computer screen once more, trying to block out Steve but he wasn't going anywhere.

 "I'm...I'm sorry," I whispered, looking up at him. Steve just looked back at me blankly, his sparkling blue eyes now dull and hollow. 

"So you admit it then?" I simply nodded. He then shook his head and turned away from me, walking down the shiny silver corridors to somewhere unknown. 

"Steve, wait.." I began, but he was already too far away to hear. I sagged into the black, spinning chair in front of the screen and all of a sudden, playing Space Invaders didn't seem so appealing. I saw Agent Hill glance at me, but she didn't say anything to me; which I appreciated. At least she knew when I needed to be left alone. 

I always thought I was good at keeping promises. I'd never broken one before now, and this time I'd broken my best friend's promise. All over Loki. 

I buried my face in the palms of my hands and rested my elbows on the keyboard in front of me, not caring that I was probably causing the computer to crash. I wasn't crying though; no. I'd had enough of crying. 

Most of the agents left me alone for a while, letting me cool off by playing Space Invaders, even though the game was becoming tedious after a while.