Prelude

Eyes the color of Rubies stared out across the blackness. I could barely make out the vague outline of a man standing across the distance.
  He made no movement but rather stood poised like a cat ready to bounce on its prey.  I had dealt with his kind before, the ravenously hungry, the cruel vindictive stalker.
As it hadn't been easy, I managed to hold my own. I could do it again if push comes to strike. First I need to sure up my odds by finding a place to take cover. I glanced around but there was nothing but endless blackness surrounding me. 
  The old fashion way it is then. I straightened my spine and squared my shoulders.  "What do you want?' I called out into the void.

"I want her." A raspy voice answered back. "Give her to me, and I shall let you live." He added with a hiss.

What girl? We are the only two creatures in this godless place. "I'm afraid you're mistaken." I called back. "The only person here is me."

A loud hissing noise erupted across the distance. It was getting closer of that I was positive. "Give me the girl or die." The voice demanded.
  "Look, I would like to help you out but I can't give you what I don't have." I replied. It was met with an piercing roaring hiss.
  A soft barely audible whimper sounded in left my ear. I froze in place as the scent of a human assaulted my nose. I turned my head slightly to the left while keeping the void in front of me clearly within my sights. No way am I risking a sneak attack.
  A girl stood at my back cowering and shaking. Where had she come from? I am certain She wasn't there a minute ago or had she been there all along? This darkness is disorienting to say the least even for someone like me.
  Even though I could not see her face as the shadows consumed every inch of it, She somehow felt oddly familiar to me. As if we had met some where before this night. I could hear the rapid thunder of her heart beating frantically, just as I could feel her fear as if it were my own.
  What little remains of the human boy in me responded. The call of chivalry coursed through my veins. Damn it, how did I end up here again? I'm not supposed to be solely responsible for another human life. The last time I tried to be a hero, it ended tragically.  I shivered as the haunting memories of my old human life danced in my head to a melancholy tune.  'Brady Andrews' I chastise myself. 'What are you going to do stand back, while this monster devours this poor girl? Of course not, so man up already.'  The girl reached her hand towards me, and the last of my resolve melted away.
  A protectiveness filled and strengthened me as I turned back to the glowering eyes.  Yes. He was definitely closet now.

"Why do you want her?" I demanded.

As if I already don't know, he wants what they all want...Blood. I could feel it now, the malice and thirst in the air. It's radiating out of him like a beacon.

"She has something." The voice answered with it's usual hiss. "I desire to which only she can give. Now step aside so I can have what's mine."

My stomach churned as I took an instinctive step forward. What? Her blood?" I shook my head.  "That's not going to happen. You'll die first." I promised.

An eerie laugh drifted across the void. It set all my senses humming with anticipation of an impending fight. I am a guardian, this is what I do, I reminded myself.

"I'll take that too, when I am finished taking what I desire most." It again hissed. "You've chosen warrior now prepared to die."

I crouched down readying myself for his attack. One thought sounded in my head as I leaped forward. I am ready to die for her. I am ready to die so my sins can be washed clean. One simple phrase escaped my lips as I sailed through the air. "Abby, Run."