Chapter Nineteen.

I  grabbed my headphones from the drawer of my nightstand. I turned up the volume as high as it would allow and pressed play. Despite my own objections I did as Violet suggested.

I replayed my outburst in my head. I replayed everything including the almost kiss that happened by the spring. Could I be in love with Abby?

The mere thought of it terrifies me. A flash of images of our first meeting to this afternoon flickered past my eyes. It was like watching an silent home movie in slow motion.

My breathing accelerated as what I had stifled down rose to the surface. I am capable of love. The barrier that blocked me off from my heart splintered and a wealth of emotions rush inside.

I am madly in love with Abby. I grabbed my paint brush and ran over to the wall. I wanted to capture this feeling forever. I dipped my bush into a pod of purple and with one even stroke I began to paint like I had never painted before.

When I finished I took a step back to admire my work of love. It was a portrait of Abby standing at the bottom of a set of wide stairs. Abby wore an long flowing purple gown. She had one hand on the banister while the other held a silver handbag.

In her hair was a jeweled butterfly clip and around her neck was a familiar pearl pendant that once belonged to my mother.

The door to my room slammed off the wall with a thud. I spun around in a defensive crouch ready to attack the intruder. Abby stepped into the room with eyes burning with rage.

I straighten out as she stormed over to my dresser. She slammed down a small flower covered photo album. Her hands shook as she drew them back. My breathing accelerated.

What did he do to her? If Vince laid a single hair on her head so help me I will rip his throat out and not think twice about it. "What happened?" I demanded. "Why are you upset?"

Abby's eyes burned into me. "I am not upset. I am pissed. Brady you lied to me." This was not the response I was prepared to hear. It took the wind out of me.

"How did I lie to you?" I took a step towards her but Shook her head. "I have not been intentionally untruthful with you. This has to be some kind of misunderstanding." I reasoned.

"Oh yeah. Explain this then Brady." She flipped open the album.

The picture was of me standing next to my mother in front of our house in 1866. "Should I call you Brady or Andrew? Oh that's right you are both. It's Andrew Elijah Brady isn't it?" She yelled at me.

My jaw dropped. How did she know this? How did Vince get my family photo album? This is what happens when I allow myself to be happy. The universe reminds me that I do not ever get to be happy again.

"You told me no surviving members of the Brady family were left. If that was not a lie, please tell me what the hell is a lie? When you are a living Brady. I meet a second living Brady tonight right here in Brookville." She hollered at me.

I snapped my head up. "What did you say? No way is that possible. The last Brady left town four months after my brother Adam died back in 1927." I blurted out.

Abby frowned. "I'm not sure how they are related. Cousins maybe? Melanie and her husband Joseph are wonderful people who live in an apartment right off the square." My fingers were trembling from a renewed wave of anger.

"There are four total living Brady's in the continental United states. Two live in New Jersey, One in Detroit Michigan, and one is living in southern California. I do not know who those people were but they lied to you." I stated calmly.

Abby eyes flared. "Stop it." She shouted. "I saw them with my own two eyes." Foster entered the room with Violet at his side. His eyes were wide and filled with regret.