Chapter Two.

We landed just before dawn on the northside of the compound. The trip home from Alaska had been a quiet one for all of us. We spent most of it lost in thought. I cannot speak for the others but I am puzzled by all the recent events.
I hope Summer is right about the answers being here in the research room. A very sleepy attendant rushed forward as we exited the plane. He informed us the council wants to see us immediately.
The words barely escaped his lips before he scurried off towards the watchmen's cabin. I can not blame him for the quick retreat. The sun is nearly up, and he is a nightwalker.
His skin would burst into flames should it come in contact with the sun. It's an awful thing to witness and even worse thing to smell.
This is not the case for all creatures of vampirism. It seems to be limited to only night walkers or Strigoi as they are known in popular folklore. The Pure bloods and the Moroi seem to have immunity to the sun.
Pure bloods are the first vampires born as a result of the true sin. They consists of seven families who reside on the council with Katherine Roswell as leader.
The Moroi are the offspring of a pure blood and a enchantress or even a lycanthrope. I was bitten by a Moroi in my human life and turned into a vampire.
This would technically make me a night walker but I also seem to have an immunity to the sun. I am a oddity, and such is not permitted.
Katherine gave me a choice to either join the guard to serve the council or be destroyed. I choose what I thought was the best option for me at the time. Little did I know, I would come to regret this decision in time.
I scooped up my bag and heaved it over my shoulder. Foster followed suit with his and Violet's bags.

He is being awful nice to her all of a sudden. "How mad do you think they are?" Foster asked.

I glanced up at the stone castle off in the distance. " They're up with the sun." I replied. "I'd say somewhere between very and murderous."

Foster nodded. "Yeah. I was afraid you'd say that."

"Are you coming or not." Violet tossed over her shoulder. She was gazing across the field with a determined set to her jaw.
Foster looked at me and shrugged but was quick to follow behind her every step of the way. The entire walk from the airfield to the front doors of the castle took less than twelve minutes.
I drew a deep breath, squared my shoulders, and slowly opened the set of oak doors. Violet squeezed my hand as she passed by me into the main hall. I waited until Foster had stepped through before letting the doors slam shut behind me.
A woman in her mid-twenties with light brown hair, a thin narrow nose, and wire framed glasses stood up from behind a desk.

"Brady. Violet, and Foster I presume?" She asked.

I nodded. "We are."

"There was been a change of plans." She informed us. "Please deposit your bags on the table and follow me."

We placed our bags on the table next to the door as she instructed. I barely enough time to release my hand from the bag before she started away.
A few minutes later Violet tossed me a puzzled look as we started down a series of hallways which led away from the common area into the council-only section of the building.
We continued down one poorly lit hallway after another to the point where I was beginning to think we were going in a giant circle.
Finally she stopped in front of blood red doors.The woman lightly tapped  before turning the knob. She disappeared inside leaving us standing in a dark slightly creepy damp hall.
A few seconds passed before she emerged with a slight stagger. "He will see you now." She announced. She smiled flatly at then scurried back down the hall.
I got a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. In the eighty odd years I've been serving the guard, not once have I been called to the private chambers of a council member.
Violet drew a deep breath then she slipped inside. I allowed Foster to pass through then I too reluctantly stepped into the room.
I'm not sure what I was expecting but it surely was not what I found. Eugene Roswell, one of the founding members of the council, and Katherine's husband was seated in a overstuffed chair in front of a fireplace.
He was dressed in green checkered pajamas and had a book open on his lap. In his hand was a glass of wine.