Chapter Six

A dozen scenarios raced through my mind on the way back to the inn. If any one of them were to become reality, I would have the biggest take-down in council history. Katherine would be so happy she may even consider letting me go on a permanent vacation from the guard. I would not be asking for retirement or to outright quit so she may grant my request. The inn looked the same as when I left...empty.

A new girl named Mia was behind the counter. She greeted me with a smile as I entered the lobby. We chatted briefly about how I was liking my stay this far before she went back to her book. I ate my now cold steak at the table as the day gave away to nightfall. I watched snow clouds move in over the mountain top and the first snowflake fall to the ground. Snow in Alabama this early in the season is a rarity. It will all be gone by morning as the ground is still too warm for any real accumulation.

I climbed into bed to watch TV and wait for Violet so the real work can begin. After a while my mind wandered to different events throughout the day. It did not take long before Abby became my prime focus. I replayed the way my body responded to her touch. I pictured her standing in the doorway calling out to me as the sun casted a shadow across her face. I silently cursed the sun for leaving this beautiful girl without a face.

My eyes popped open as I scrambled for the dresser. I pulled my sketchbook from the drawer and started flipping through the pages. I stopped on the fourth page then sat with a thud on the floor next to the bed. How did I miss this earlier? All the signs were right there in plain sight the entire time. I must have sketched this girl hundreds of times over the past seventeen years. I have spent six thousand mornings waking up to her portrait and just as many nights falling asleep to imagined adventures she had taken. The girl without a face is Abby Johnson.

The same innocent-appearing human girl I met a short time ago. How is she mixed up in this mystery with Henry and the winged woman Lilith? The only thing I know for certain is the girl next to me in Violet's picture is Abby. What about Foster's clue? The initial were ADR so either he misread the letters or his clue is not connected to Violet's picture. If they are not connected than who or what is ADR?I already know Chloe Raines has a secret regarding Abby she desperately doesn't want me to find out. Now I have to wonder just how much Chloe knows? Is this Lilith somehow involved with her as well or is something else going on in this town?

My thoughts were on a continuous loop in my head. I crawled into bed with the sketch and stared down at the face of the girl who is fast becoming the center of my life. As my eyes began to close I used my last conscious moment to make one last vow. I will find out Chloe's secret. The sun had barely made an appearance when Violet swung the door to my room open. She had a box of doughnuts tucked under her arm and a large coffee in her hand.

"Wake up sleepy head." She chimed. "I got caffeine and an extra set of hands. You're welcome to the sugar as well." She tossed the box of doughnuts on the table. I lifted my head off the pillow long enough to see Foster closing the door to my room. I groaned and pulled the pillow over my face. Do they have to do everything together now? The last thing we need is an inexperienced kid with something to prove. We need experience and to keep a low profile. I pulled the pillow from my face in time to see Violet press her lips to Foster's cheek. Now I understood everything from Alaska on.

"You got to be kidding me." I moved to the edge of the bed. "NO. There will be none of that while we are working. I find it nauseating." I barked at them. This is the kind of distraction we cannot afford while going up against Natalia Roswell.

 Violet handed me a coffee. "I got it Boss."

 "I mean it Violet." I threw a despairing look her way Her eyes danced with amusement. I took a sip of coffee. It was hot, strong, and tasted like hazelnut. What happened to good old fashion black coffee? "You're going to ignore every word." I accused.