Chapter Nine

I helped a shy girl named Jess hang the animals on clips around the top of the booth. Mrs. Garnet nabbed me leaving the booth and sent me with a stack of tickets to the bake sale tables.

When I circled back Abby was gone. I asked one of the volunteers if he knew which direction she had gone. He pointed in the direction of the stage. I could see Abby with a group of cheerleaders lining up around the stage.

A stocky guy with light brown hair and freckles stepped in front of me blocking Abby from my line of sight. I recognized him as the guy from the diner. This must be Vince.

"I couldn't help but overhear you asking about my girlfriend." He glanced over his shoulder at his friends. "Is there something I can help you with?" He asked.

His face reminded me of someone but I couldn't put my finger on who that person might be. "We made arrangements to meet up but I can always catch up with her later." I stated politely.

Vince looked taken back. The last thing I want is to cause Abby problems. "You know what. I may have gotten things confused." I took a step back. "I do that sometimes." I turned my back.

"Hang on slick." He grabbed my collar. "You're the new guy she was rambling about earlier. Let me explain to you how things work around here so there will be no more confusion." He jerked on my shirt causing his friends to laugh some more.

I took a breath. "Let go of my shirt."

He jerked my shirt again. "Na I don't think I will."

I could feel the anger building just under the surface of my skin. It was threatening to explode. For once I sympathized with Chloe and how she must have felt earlier.

"My name is Vince Corbin." He said slowly. "I am sort of a god in this town. Abby is my girlfriend and little nobodies like you stay away from what is mine." He shoved me backwards.

Abby is not a piece of property to be claimed. I tried taking a calming breath but Vince had inched so close there was barely a foot between us. I could see it now. The family resemblance.

Now it was my hands shaking with the desire to rip something or in this case someone apart. He would have to be a stinking no good Corbin. As much as I don't like him. My issues are with his forefathers not him.

Foster pushed his way in between us forcing Vince to take a few steps back. Foster locked his eyes on him. "Do you have an issue with my brother?" He flexed his arm.

"Nope." Vince stared back. "The problem has been solved." He laughed. "Come on boys we have fans waiting for us." He bumped into my shoulder. "Watch yourself Andrews." He warned.

Foster reached for Vince but I stopped his hand. We watched silently as Vince strolled into the cheering crowd. He was right the whole town seemed to worship him.

"Who was that guy?" Foster whispered.

"Abby's boyfriend." I answered.

Foster patted my back. "We might have to change that."

What is with everyone tonight? Abby and I will never be more than friends. I can't allow myself to get involved again not after the last time.

"Don't you start too." I pointed my finger at him.

He chuckled. "You can't deny she's beautiful."

I glanced up at the stage. Abby was center stage pompoms in hand leading everyone in a cheer. The smile on her face lit-up the night even from here. I couldn't deny she is the most beautiful creature on the planet.