Chapter Twenty.

It had been a week since I talked to Henry about the encounter with the girl named fern and the resulting unanswered questions it had left us with. He confided that most of the items where storage in the attic of the cabin on Athena Mountain.

He did admit to placing a couple of documents including pictures in a safety deposit box at the bank. Henry was supposed to check on the contents of the box and get back to me.

Over the past week Abby has been a regular visitor staying late into the night. On a few occasions she slept over in the guest room. This of course did not make Vince very happy at all.

He would call every hour on the hour to check on her and demand she come and see him. Most of the time we were successful on keeping her from going but when we weren't violet followed to make sure she was safe.

At school Abby sat next to me in all our shared classes. She always had a new question to ask about my life. Abby was especially fascinated by my account of what the original Brooks town had been like before the flood of 1893 that caused it to be rebuilt into the Brookville of today.

I shared everything I could with her about the council and my years in the guard. Only one area was off limits to her and that of course was my relationship with Betsy.

Abby argued for two days before conceding the topic. Violet or Foster would join in the conversation on occasion but mostly they listened quietly. I fastened the last button on my shirt and stood back to take a closer look in the mirror.

My hair was combed, neat, and despite my best effort fell lazily in front my right eye. As usual my skin was pale, smooth, and flawless. My eyes were bright, hopeful, and excited.

The light colored khaki pants coordinated perfectly with the dark green polo shirt Violet had picked out and yet something didn't feel quite right.

A part of this could be contributed to my mother. She drove into my head as a boy that Thanksgiving was a formal occasion. My brothers and I were expected to be dressed in our best Sunday attire. What if Abby was taught the same thing?

I went back to my closet and plucked out a plain white dress shirt, black slacks, and sorted through a stack of boxes for appropriate footwear.

Violet stuck her head in the door as I was debating over ties. "Are you ready?" She asked.

"Which one do you think?" I held up a blue tie with silver pinstripes next to a solid black one. "And do you think these combat boots will work since I can't seem to find a decent pair of black dress shoes in that mess." I pointed to the stack of disarray boxes in the corner of my closet.

Violet walked a little further into the room. "What's going on? Why are you fussing over clothing?" She tilted her head to the side. "Does this have anything to do with telling Abby's parents the two of you are an item now?"

"Is it that obvious?" I sighed.

Vince pinched her finger together. "just a tad bit."

We both laughed. Violet's eyes lit-up. She swooped into my closet, and rooted through a couples of boxes. She came out with a pair of light brown loafers. "These go with what you have on."

Violet remined me all the guest coming tonight were told to dress causal at our request. What started out as having Abby and her parents over turned into a full affair with all our friends coming with dates. I looked into the mirror again.

I guess this will work. Violet shoved the shoes into my chest. "In this life we are lucky to find love once. To find it twice in one lifetime is rare. Don't screw this up by letting your past overshadow your future." She advised.