Chapter Seven: First Date or Last? II

I forgot how big his hands are, Hongjoong thought as he kept stealing sidelong glances at Seonghwa. He couldn't see what expression his boyfriend had on his face due to the mask he used to hide his identity but he was sure he looked as worried as Hongjoong felt. He glanced at the crowds around them and luckily no one seemed to be paying much attention to the two boys. It'd be a huge mess if anyone happened to recognize us. He thought pulling his mask up further to cover his mouth.

They went through a haunted house attraction that was complete with the creepy ambiance and constant jumpscares. They walked closely together through dark narrow hallways and past scenes of graveyards and moaning animatronics with their glowing red eyes. One that looked like a werewolf burst out from behind a door and Hongjoong clung to Seonghwa's side, burying his face in the older boy's shoulder. The latter rubbed his soft hair and reassured him that everything would be alright then gently told him to stay close so they don't get separated.

Once they made it outside into the cool night air Hongjoong let out a massive sigh of relief and laughed nervously. "I'm sorry I don't do scary things well." He admitted sheepishly.

Seonghwa smiled at his boyfriend and was reminded again that he was the cutest person he had ever met. Hongjoong was adorable, whether it was the way his oversized sweater hung on his slight frame to the way his hair curled just slightly under his hat he loved it all. This realization hit him so hard he was glad he had a mask on to hide his expression.

***

They made their way through the crowds with the smell of deep fried food in the air and the thrilled screams of those on the towering rides. The dark haired boy hadn't let go of his hand since they entered the park, a gesture that made Hongjoong's chest warm and tight. They walked around together in comfortable silence checking out food stalls and fairway games before Hongjoong stopped dead in his tracks.

"What're you looking at?" Seonghwa asked looking over at the booth they stood in front of. He followed Hongjoong's line of sight to the row of plushies on a shelf. He smiled under his mask when he saw a yellow monster plush looking back at them with one eye. It very closely resembled one of Hongjoong's favorite cartoon characters. Seonghwa never let go of Hongjoong's hand as he dug his wallet out of the back pocket of his jeans.

"Wait, Hwa what're you doing?" Hongjoong asked.

"I'm going to win you that plushie, Joongie," Seonghwa responded confidently. His boyfriend looked at him surprised then shook his head. "You don't have to do that for me," He said trying to pull the other boy away. "I really don't want it..."

"I want to do it though," Seonghwa said squeezing his hand tightly as if trying to convey how earnest he was feeling since he couldn't see his face. "I know I can do it if it's for you Joongie..."

Seonghwa knew that this could in no way to earn forgiveness for what he'd done, but if this was their last date he wanted to be able to give Hongjoong everything he could. There was so many things he wanted to do with him before it all had to come to an end.

Hongjoong didn't know what to say but felt touched by how much his boyfriend cared. Although his consideration for him made him feel worse about what he had been up to lately, he reluctantly let go of his hand so he could play for him. I really don't deserve this though...

He handed some money to the man behind the counter who gave him a gun. It was a simple game where you use a squirt gun to shoot into the mouth of a clown. It's red nose would fill with water and if it burst before time ran out and you'd win a prize. The bell dinged to start the timer and Seonghwa raised the gun...

***

Afterwards Hongjoong squeezed the monster tightly, enjoying how soft and squishy it felt against him. They sat across from each other enjoying some spicy noodles they had bought from a stand. After finding a secluded spot surrounded by bushes they removed their masks to eat in peace.

The silence was thick around them as they tried and failed to strum up conversation. At one point Hongjoong noticed some sauce on the older boy's face and reached over to wipe it off. He seemed to second guess himself before touching Seonghwa but before he could pull away his boyfriend grabbed his wrist. His face turned red and he refused to meet Hongjoong's confused eyes. "Y-you can touch me if you want..." He whispered.

Hongjoong blushed at this but helped him wipe his cheek off with a napkin, letting his hand linger against his skin longer than necessary. He felt that they were slowly letting go of each other and Hongjoong felt miserable. He choked back the urge to cry and buried his face in the plushie, wondering why it smelled just like Seonghwa...

***

After hitting a few rides and walking around to check out all the interesting sights on the grounds they suddenly realized it had grown extremely late. They both knew that their first date was nearly over but both were hesitant to point out just what time it was. Seonghwa looked up into the starry sky and made a wish that it would never have to end. His eyes traveled down to the huge ferris wheel that sat in front of them, lit up by large flashing lights. He knew it was time to come clean about what had happened.

"Let's take a ride on the ferris wheel." He suggested looking down at the younger boy tenderly. "It looks like a good place that we can talk in private."

Hongjoong felt sick at the thought of what they'd be discussing but knew that he owed it to his boyfriend to tell him the truth. He tilted his head up at him and smiled a smile that never quite reached his eyes. "Okay let's talk."

***

They both sat close to each other as the ride started up and gently brought them into the air. The inside of the compartment was rather spacious and there was windows on all sides allowing them to see the night time view of the city below them. They slowly ascended upward and Hongjoong continued to gaze out of the window lost in his own thoughts. Seonghwa gulped and looked down at his hands, it was now or never.

"Hongjoong I'm just going to come out and say that I've fucked up really bad. So bad that you're going to hate me and probably never want to see me again..." He began tentatively. He didn't dare look up at the boy sitting next to him even as he felt his eyes on him. "I'm such a coward though... I never wanted to lose you. I don't think I'll be okay if I lose you..."

Hongjoong watched him struggle and felt pain at the depth of sadness in his voice. Seonghwa sat hunched over with his dark hair covering his face, wringing his hands in front of him. His words sat like rocks in Hongjoong's heart, he was worried about what he meant but his heart hurt for the dark haired boy more. He lifted a hand and placed it on his back rubbing in soothing circles. "It's okay I'm here right now Hwa... I'll listen to whatever you have to say."

Seonghwa took a steadying breath and looked up at his boyfriend from under his black hair.

"I messed around with Wooyoung."

A/N

ok no smut again but part three is actually very very close to being done...

I hope you enjoyed my fluffiest chapter yet.

And remember I want to create an ateez imagines fanfic and would really love some ideas to play around with so PM or comment what you'd like to see... Maybe I'll do smut and fluff or maybe I'll separate the two into two different books. Like ateez dark and ateez light or something like that idk...

Anyhoo

ily