Chapter-7 Rituals!

"Manik answer me!" said Nandini snapping her fingers at him

Manik tried his best to avoid any eye contact with her and said-

"Nandini let's go inside there's no use arguing now please! said Manik holding her hand and taking her inside."

Nandini went inside and thought to ask him later.

Alya saw them coming together and said-

"You guys seriously need to calm down like you're getting married in a week and you are still sneaking around!"

Nandini grew embarrassed and silently whispered- "Umm no!"

Navya joined them and said-

"Oho Nandini the mehendi on your hand looks so pretty. Am I right Manik?"

Nandini looked at Manik who seemed to be lost, he saw Nandini looking at him and said

"Yeah the mehendi looks gorgeous on her hands!"

Shreya and Ronit the wedding planners joined them and said-

"Okayy so guys now tomorrow there's this South Indian ritual that Nandini's Chachi told us that will take place  it's called Oonial."

Shreya- " In this ritual the bride and groom sit on the swing to eat banana and milk while the relatives and friends keep on throwing rice balls on them to keep the fun alive."

"That sounds so cool" said Kabir.

Alya and Navya went on to discuss their outfits for tomorrow while Nandini kept on looking at Manik who was still lost.

Nandini- "So you will inform your dad about tomorrow's rituals?"

Manik nodded his head in response. Nandini knew that asking him again would be a waste as he won't answer. She turned to go hoping that he'd stop her but no he didn't.

Dhruv came back and Nandini saw him. She stopped him and asked-

"What's up Dhruv? What has happened to Manik why is he so lost?"

Dhruv excused himself leaving Nandini confused.

The next day

Nandini got dressed in a traditional white South Indian saree with golden borders. Chachi decked her up in the traditional South Indian jewellery. She looked divine in her South Indian glory.

Kabir got Manik's outfit ready and showed it to him.

Manik- "What! I'll have to wear this lungi that's it?"

Kabir laughed hysterically seeing him shocked and said- "Yeah man you will have to wear this only"

Manik wore the lungi and whispered-

"Kabir bro I can't walk out bare chested."

Kabir tried to control his laughter and said-"You will have to!"

Manik wore the lungi and walked out very consciously. Kabir got Manik to the courtyard where the swing was arranged.

Manik's dad arrived and got emotional seeing Manik dressed like a would-be South Indian groom. Manik bent to touch his feet but instead he hugged him tightly.

For a minute Manik stopped. Stopped to look what was in front of him. An epitome of beauty, yes that's what Nandini looked like to be precise.

Nandini walked towards him and said-

"Oops you forgot your shirt it seems!"

Manik blushed, he paused to think of the perfect compliment that he could ever give her.

"You look divine Nandini" he said looking straight into her almond shaped eyes.

Nandini blushed hard. Harder than Manik.

Kabir, Alya and Navya interrupted them and said- "Now stop romancing and sit"

They sat on the swing. Chachi came and applied turmeric powder on their foreheads. She gave them banana and milk. Manik looked at Nandini cause she knew he hated bananas.

She looked at him sulking and gently whispered to him- "Have it na, love"

They ate the banana and drank the milk while everyone threw rice balls on them.

Kabir got a little too aggressive while throwing the rice balls when Manik shouted-

"You idiot don't throw it like a ball"

Kabir laughed seeing him irritated. The ritual got over and both of them were soaked in rice grains.

Suddenly Nandini saw Dhruv arriving. She looked at Manik who started following him.

Now she was absolutely sure that it had something to do with Dhruv.

Manik came back and went to Kabir.

They both sneaked on the terrace when he exclaimed to Kabir-

"I can't marry Nandini!"