Chapter-9 Why can't you marry me?

Nandini regained consciousness. She looked around to see everyone sad and gloomy sitting with their heads down. Navya, Alya, Kabir everyone was looking upset.

She looked around, yes she was in her bedroom. She held her head and exclaimed-

"Ah my head is spinning."

Chachi's eyes were blood red indicating she had been crying for long now.

Nandini- "Chachi why are your eyes red!"

Chachi- "Manik... he left this note."

And suddenly Nandini started to remember everything. She remembered Manik confessing that he can't marry her.

Nandini with trembling fingers and tremendous courage opened the note.

The Note

   I know I've done the worst thing possible! I'm sorry Nandini. I am really sorry Chacha and Chachi in fact I want to apologise to everyone because I can't marry Nandini.

Nandini tore the note apart in anger and got up. Nobody tried to stop her because she was fuming with rage and anger.

She changed her white lace dress and dashed towards her car. She drove towards the centre of the city. The heart of the city where there was a huge flower market. Manik's favourite place. He often sat near the flower baskets lying on the road for hours and stared at them.

He absolutely LOVED flowers!

Nandini reached the flower market. As soon as she got down it started raining all of a sudden. All the flower shops started shutting down. Nandini was getting soaked in the rain water when she proceeded towards the inner corners of the lane.

Her anklet noisily moved as she walked looking for Manik.

Manik was sitting inside a narrow lane near a basket full of jasmines. He cared less about the rain dripping on him. He was just quietly staring at the jasmines getting drenched in the rain water. Nandini walked towards him. The street light was the only source of light sparkling near their dull faces.

She stood in front of him. Manik looked at her feet. He stared at the pretty silver anklet. He immediately recognised it. He looked up and found Nandini staring at him.

He stood up and stared back. Both of them were dripping wet in the rain. Nandini stepped closer and slapped him really really hard. Anger was dripping from her eyes when she slapped him.

Manik wasn't shocked he knew he deserved it. After a brief silence Nandini said just one word CLEAR and LOUD-

WHY?

Manik exhaled and continued- "A week back I was sure that I'm ready to marry you but at the mehendi function Dhruv took my aside annddd..."

Flashback begins

Manik- "Dhruv why have you taken me to my room? You know na mehendi function has started I need to be there!"

Dhruv- "I've got your reports."

Oh yes Manik's reports he'd been feeling really low since and had been coughing profusely since months.

Manik- "Oh yes! I texted you to collect them. So what's the result?"

Dhruv- "You see it yourself"

He handed the reports to Manik. Manik's eyes widened, his heart started crying seeing the results.

Manik- "What? Lung cancer! But it was just normal cough! I don't even smoke nor do I drink."

Manik started crying and breathing heavily. His vision started to blur. He started coughing louder and louder.

Dhruv consoled him gently and said with tears in his eyes-

"I know this is heartbreaking but this is the truth buddy. I know it hurts but..."

Manik wiped his tears and exclaimed-

"I gotta tell this to Nandini right now."

Dhruv stopped him and asked-

"So will you still marry her? Well unfortunately you hardly have some more time to live and Nandini has her whole life ahead. Think practically Manik. She can't spend her whole life alone."

Manik with tears rolling down his cheeks exclaimed-

"But we really really love each other!"

Dhruv- "Think again Manik!"

Manik thought and realised that he won't be able to live long and Nandini shouldn't suffer after he dies.

Manik- "You are right, Nandini can't spend her whole life alone crying for me!"

Flashback ends

The rain hadn't stopped yet. Tears started rolling down her cheeks as she hugged Manik really really tight. She felt terrible after listening that he won't be able to live long.

She composed herself and started crying again. Louder this time.

Nandini- "I really really love you Manik and I don't care how short our journey of Hamesha is going to be but I want to walk along this journey with you."

Manik- "Don't be silly Nandini!"

Nandini- "I am absolutely sure of marrying the man standing in front of me!"

Manik gazed at Nandini for a minute and then hugged her really tight.

Manik- "I knew it that you will react like this and I was sure of marrying you but Dhruv made me realise...."

Nandini interrupted him and said-

"Dhruv's a complete jerk, he maybe wasn't completely wrong but he did know how much we love each other and I don't care about the bloody reports."

The rain stopped and Nandini exclaimed-

"So Mr. fiancé let's go home and tell everyone that we are not calling off the wedding!"

Manik smiled and they headed towards the car holding their hands knowing that everyone won't react the way Nandini did after knowing he doesn't have a lot of time left to live.