Morning after a pretty bad night

Kokichi fluttered open his eyes, rubbing the dust-thing off of them. Sleep eye dust. He covered his face with his hands and groaned, not wanting to go to school. He felt particularly worse that day. He had another coughing session last night where his throat probably got scratched up by the thorns, giving him a sore throat which was the worst. It's not like medicine could fix it. He tried to breathe in but coughed in the middle of the attempt. A few blood stained flower petals fluttered down to the carpeted ground.

Kokichi sighed, trying to focus on something else. That's when he heard the soft falls raindrops outside. The clouds were grey, adults outside were walking off to work with their umbrellas and bags in hand. It was a gloomy day, probably when angsty emos were writing 'relatable and deep' Instagram posts. That was probably Shuichi. Nah, that was a lie. Or was my lie a lie? Jesus Christ, I'm giving myself a headache.

Kokichi went through his morning routine but being somehow less careless and more dreadful than ever, if that was even possible. He felt gloomy like the weather. He slung his backpack over his shoulder and grabbed his purple umbrella and headed out. He stood on the pavement, watching the raindrops fall from the clouds, onto everyone's umbrellas. Everyone, which were only a few people on the street, was minding their own business, keeping to themselves. He huffed and started to walk down the road to his school. As he walked, he heard footsteps behind him, puddles being splattered as someone walked through them. "Hi, Kokichi," he heard a familiar voice say. He turned towards the owner of the voice, finding out that it was the one and only, Keebo. He was sure he wouldn't talk to him after that fight! I mean, people in his life usually walked away just because of some unnecessary fight that he somehow brought out. Nevertheless, he pulled on his sly expression.

"Heeeyyy, Kee-boy!" Kokichi said, which he kind of regretted saying anything. He felt petals tickling the insides of his scratched up throat. "What are you doing talking to me on this fine day?" Kokichi gestured to the rain, grinning from ear to ear. "..Is that a lie?" Keebo cautiously asked, causing Kokichi to give him a 'are you serious?' look. "I was being sarcastic. Are you that stupid to know what sarcasm is?! Oh man!" Kokichi laughed, his laugh quickly transitioning into a coughing fit. "Oh god- Today seems to be worse than the last time I saw you cough up petals." Kokichi covered his hand, waiting for the coughing to stop. Petals slipped through his fingers, slowly drifting to the street ground.

"Did anything else bad happen about the Hanahaki disease?" Keebo asked, his face full of concern. There was, but he wasn't going to reveal it right away! That takes away the fun of the surprise! And, he knew a little too much. Plus, telling and describing flowers growing out of your wounds would be quite unsettling. "Nope! Nothing's bad happened so far! Maybe it's getting better!" He lied with fake optimism. Keebo, falling for his lies, sighed with relief. "That's good news." There was a faint hint of a smile there.

"Anyway, why did you come to see little ol' me through this gloomy weather? Do you wuve me that much?~ You know I have my eyes set for another!" Keebo's eyebrows furrowed, the tips of his lips curling into a small frown. "Ugh- No! I came to apologise." Kokichi let out an exaggerated gasp. "Our argument was unnecessary and I ignored how you felt about this whole situation, and I shouldn't have avoided you." He said in a serious manner and bowed. "So, I'm sorry." Oh wow. "Pffft, wow, Kee-boy! You're being awfully formal about this whole thing! Serves you right, I was so hurt when you didn't talk to me! I was balling my eyes out, my heart being crushed!" Kokichi exaggerated his gestures and movements, obviously showing he was being sarcastic about the whole thing. Keebo rolled his eyes, pointing his finger upwards. "Being polite and formal is essential in proper apologies!" "That sounds like total BS."

The two trudged their way to school through the horrible, rainy weather, sometimes Kokichi wanting to splash around in the puddles like a child, except his low energy and Keebo stopping him. Finally, the two reached the academy, everything all wet and uncomfortable.

✿❀✿

A familiar navy-haired teenage boy waved good-bye to his Uncle, grabbing his dark grey umbrella and heading out to face the rain. Last night was honestly an emotional rollercoaster. So many feelings and thoughts ran through his head. Confusion, sadness, guilt, all of that negative stuff. He was overwhelmed by his own emotions. Even if he didn't feel like he loved Kaede anymore, it still hurt. They've been through so many things together over the past couple of months.

Shuichi waited in the rain for his best friend. They always walked to school together. Usually talking about the assignment they got for the night, their partners, etc. A few minutes later, a familiar spiky haired male with a goatee came walking through the rain, seemingly frowning. "Sorry I was later than usual, bro. The rain and sleep held me up." Kaito said, furrowing his brows, scratched behind his neck, his other hand holding the umbrella. "Ah, it's no problem, Kaito." The taller male scanned over Shuichi's expression and face, seeing he looked more emo than usual. His attempt to smile, those bags, those eyes, something must've happened yesterday.

"What's wrong, bro? You look like you're down in the dumps." Kaito said with concern embedded in his tone. "Oh, um- you don't need to worry. Just a little tired." Honestly, even Kaito could tell Shuichi was lying. He'd be an oblivious idiot (like Shuichi,) if he couldn't see through that lie. "Oh, come on, bro. Tell me what happened yesterday. You can trust me, right?" Shuichi felt hesitant to tell him about yesterday. It just happened. But it might be better to get it off of his chest..? "I- Kaede and I broke up. She said we're better off as friends." Kaito's expression turned into a more serious one, seeing how heartbroken Shuichi looked. "Oh, dude,, heartbreak doesn't last forever. Keep your chin held high and face it like a man!" Kaito attempted to comfort Shuichi, which he appreciated.

"Ah, thanks, Kaito. I'll remember that." He said with a small smile. "You better!" He said, placing a reassuring hand on the other's shoulder.

The two walked to Maki's house, finding her in her usual waiting spot outside of her home. The three talked with each other, ranging from a variety of different subjects as they walked to their academy for talented juveniles. Though, as they were walking, Shuichi still couldn't help but wonder who he apparently had his eyes on. Wow, was he that oblivious to his own feelings? He should win an award.

He went through the round of elimination in his head, going through people he had met or known. It couldn't be Kaito or Maki since they were both obviously pining over each other, and let's be honest, Maki probably would slit Shuichi's throat at the mere mention of her liking him in that kind of way. It wouldn't be Keebo since he knew they were both friends and they knew it. Nothing further. He went through other peers in his classroom, everyone else is a mere acquaintance of his or didn't know much about. Except one - Kokichi. Even though they had ups and downs, him annoying the hell out of Shuichi sometimes, they still had a bond. The two had a fascination for Danganronpa and even listened to him geek out about it. He was a unique one, hard to crack. A person who deceives everyone around them but still has a hint of truth embedded in his lies. Out of everyone he went through, he was most likely the one Kaede was talking about.

But, he would need to tell him. He had the Hanahaki disease. Who knows when it was going to be his last day because of that horrid disease. H-

"Bro, you okay? I know it's hard for you right now bu-" "Ah! I'm fine! Like I've said before, I'm a little sleep deprived, that's all." Shuichi perked up, his train of thought getting cut off. He waved his hand as a way to say he was fine. "If you say so.," Maki responded in a suspicious yet slightly concerned tone.  

So, the three soon reached their school, starting another day of prison. 

[A/N] I'm really sorry that i haven't updated in like,, two months? This was supposed to be the final chapter and it was supposed to be much, much longer but i needed to upload something. 

and y'aLL i DOnT kNOw hOw tO wrIte KaiTo oR mAkI okAy, oKay.