01|Running the Family

It seems now, the world is so cold now that you've gone away•

•It seems now, the world is so cold now that you've gone away•

Evelyn's Pov

"There she is!"

I turn and run toward the alley I've been through so many times.

"She's going over the fence again!"

I hop the fence just as he said I would. I run through the street and towards our shabby apartment, then I crawl through the window from the fire escape.

"Really Gerald? You let her go again!"

I slam the window shut after they leave and I hope they didn't see which apartment I went in.

"Evelyn?"

"Jonah." I sigh.

He comes up behind me, wrapping his tiny arms around my legs. I turn and pick him up as I walk towards the counter. I drop the bag of stolen goods on the counter.

"Where are mom and Windsor?" I ask.

I think I know the answer, but I'm just curious to see if he knows.

"They're out."

"For how long?"

"Two hours."

They'll be gone all night I'm sure.

"Were they together?"

"No. Win left after mom."

So mom is at work and Windsor is at a party. Makes sense. If I didn't take responsibility for Jonah, I'd be at a party too.

I know what y'all are all thinking, what kind of parent would leave a 16 year old to take care of a 7 year old and a 14 year old? Here's the answer: the good kind.

She works crazy hours to take care of us. It's been hard on her and most of her money goes towards the apartment. So, I took upon myself to 'get groceries' but I did it in the worst way. If she knew how I got all of this, she'd be so disappointed.

"Have you ate yet?" I put Jonah down.

"No."

"How about a peanut butter sandwich?"

"Yeah!" He jumps.

I smile as I start making him a sandwich. He smiles when I hand it to him.

"I'll be in my room, okay Jo?"

"Okay, Eve."