xi. IT'S CLOSE

AFTER WALKING for so long, Icarus starts to get tired, rubbing his eyes and sighing. "I mean, you have to admit, as a feat of engineering alone, this is impressive." Dustin says to them.

"What are you talking about? It's a total fire hazard." Steve says as he and Icarus walk together behind the other four. "He's right. There's no stairs, there's no exit, there's just an elevator that drops you halfway to hell." He rolled his eyes.

"They're Commies." Erica says as she looks back at them. "You don't pay people, they cut corners." Erica says making Icarus look down at her. "To be fair to our Russian comrades, I don't think this tunnel was designed for walking. I mean, think about it, they developed the perfect system for transporting that cargo." Robin said.

"It all comes into the mall like any old delivery." Dustin says. "And then they load it up onto those trucks and nobody's the wiser." Robin says and Icarus looks at Steve who spoke next, "you think they built this whole mall just so they could transport that green poison?" He looks at Dustin.

"I very seriously doubt it's something as boring as poison. It's gotta be much more valuable, like promethium or something." Dustin said and Chris nods. "What the hell is promethium?" Steve asked  and Icarus gives him a look.

"It's what Victor Stone's dad used to make Cyborg's bionic and cybernetic components." Robin says and Icarus raised his eyebrows. "You're all so nerdy, it makes me physically ill." Erica says as she held her hands to her waist and Steve looks at her. "No, no, no. No, don't lump me in with them.." He says as he shakes his head.

"I'm not a nerd, alright?" He says when Erica looks at him. "Why so sensitive, Harrington?" Chris asked with an amused tone. "Yeah, Harrington?" Robin said, looking at him. "Afraid of losing cool points to a ten year old child?" She says.

"No, I'm just saying I don't know jack shit about Prometheus." He says and Icarus looks at him. "Promethium." He and Dustin both correct him making Steve mock them. "Prometheus is a Greek mythological figure." Icarus explains. "Anyway, whatever, all I'm saying is, it's probably being used to make something." Dustin says.

"Or power something." Robin says as she looks at Dustin. "Like a nuclear weapon?" He asked. "Totally." She says and Icarus smiles slightly. "Walking towards a nuclear weapon. That's great." Steve says and Icarus looks at him. "That's be great." Steve nods and Icarus looks over at Robin.

"But if they're building something, why here? I mean, Hawkins. Seriously. Of all places. At the very best, we're a toilet stop on your way to Disneyland, but maybe that's it. Maybe it's our very..." Robin says and that's when Steve and Icarus look at each other, slowing down along with Dustin who joins them, even Chris. "You think the Russians know?" Dustin asked them right away.

"About—" "They could.." Icarus cut off Steve, looking at him. "So it's connected?" Chris asked and Icarus looks at him. "Maybe.." He whispers. "How?" Steve asked as the other three teen boys look at him but his eyes were only on Icarus.

"I don't know, but it's..." Dustin says and they all say at the same time, "possible." Erica and Robin who kept walking turn around. "I'm sorry, is there something you'd like to share with the class?" She asked them and Icarus sighs.

Steve and Icarus look at each other before looking back at the two girls. Then a man speaking Russian is played on the radio. "Walkie.." Chris said right away and the four of them rush over right away. "Give it here," Chris held out his hand, sitting between Steve and Icarus. Erica takes out the radio, handing it to Chris who holds it up.

"A trip to China sounds nice. If you tread lightly." Chris said in Russian. "A trip to China sounds nice if you tread lightly.. The code." He says before looking at Icarus who was staring at him.

"Wherever that broadcast is coming from.." Dustin says, looking at Chris. "It's close." Chris says with a small proud smile. "And if there's one thing we know about that signal..." Robin says.

"It can reach the surface."

authors note i've tried to keep these chapters at 1000+ at least but i don't wanna anymore