the fifteenth

A/N: Thanks for being patient with me, I've been wickedly jetlagged. Anyways, thank you all for 600 reads!! Here is a juicy chapter for you. 

________

"A toast," Jamie began, "to the band, and to everyone else who worked so tirelessly on this record. Congratulations to you all, you should be immensely proud of yourselves,"

And with that, the room erupted with cheers, everyone raising their glasses and hugging those around them. What a moment in time. I looked at Matty, pride soaring through my bones. The record was amazing, and The Sound was destined to top the charts in the UK. But I knew Matty didn't care about that. None of the boys did. All that mattered to them was that they had released an album that they would enjoy playing, regardless of how it was received. I admired them for that.

"What are you thinking about, love?" Matty asked as I smiled at him. 

"Just how happy I am to be here with you, in Sydney, celebrating this amazing record that you have created," I spoke. I was also thinking about how in love I was with the man in front of me. 

Matty kissed my forehead tenderly before we made the rounds, him introducing me to people from the label as well as friends from home that had come to celebrate the release. Kai hadn't failed to mention the fact that Matty was notably well behaved, limiting himself to one drink and maintaining his composure, which apparently was very uncommon for him at parties. Matty was notorious for being pissed before even arriving and then slipping away within an hour to shoot up or have his head between some girls thighs.  

It had gotten late, and most people of sincere professionalism had already left, everyone else too drunk to get themselves home safely. Everyone except Matty and I. 

"Come outside with me," he spoke, leading us to the balcony.

The night was warm, the view of the city greeting us with a gentle orange glow. Music from the party pounded in the background, muffled by the sliding door. 

"Quite a lot of people here," Matty mumbled, "it's nice to just escape it for a moment," 

I nodded my head, getting a little tired of the relentless drunk encounters I had begun having. 

"They're all here for you," I spoke softly as I looked out over the railing, "everyone is loving the album."

"What about you, pet?" Matty hummed.

My eyes followed the taillights of cars as they winded between buildings in the distance.

"It's beautiful, Matty. It's so raw and authentic and honest. It's everything anyone could desire."

"Good, I'm glad you like it." Matty smiled. 

"Matty, I love it. I love you." I spoke, my heart dropping immediately. 

Shit. 

My face grew white, the breath catching in my throat. I said it. I didn't mean to, it just came out.  What was I going to do? Apologies? Take it back? That would only make things look worse. There was no undoing what had been done.

I could see Matty turn to face me, but I didn't dare look at him. 

"Jess," he spoke slowly, his voice serious, "please tell me you meant that,"

I turned towards him, my head spinning, a lump forming in my throat.

Inhale.

Exhale.

I could barely breathe. 

"I mean it," I spoke finally, "more than anything."

My stomach churned as fear crawled up my spine, waiting for his response.