the end

A/N: So uh, surprise? Sorry to just throw the finale chapter at you with no warning whatsoever. Due to this book being very much so "make it up as I go" I never really knew when the ending was gonna be. I was just gonna write until it felt right to end. And, the more and more I wrote this chapter, I began to realize that it felt right to end it here. As much as I love writing this book, and part of me wishes I could write it forever, I owe it to you all and to the integrity of the story to tie things up and not have the book drag on until I've completely undone all of the hard work I have put into this plot and these characters. I wanted my story to have a good, strong ending that leaves room for you all to write your own epilogs etc. I've spent months on this book, and due to it being summer, I've had the luxury of time to actually put good effort into it and make sure I am proud of every chapter I am writing, but as uni and everything begins again, that time for attention to detail won't be around anymore, and I've worked far too hard on this to allow myself to get sloppy in the end.

Also, one last thing, I just wanted to say a massive thank you. I was rereading the first chapters of this book and I talked about celebrating 4 readers. It really meant a lot to me that out of all of the fanfics with thousands of reads, people dared to choose one that had like 2 reads and 0 comments/votes. And yet, people did. At the time of writing this, this story has 1.5K reads which would have been unfathomable when I first wrote this book literally as a place to vent my feelings about Matty. Not to mention, also, the comments that have been left on this book that literally inspired me to keep writing even when I was traveling the earth or taking exams. The amount of support I have received has been the most pleasant and rewarding surprise. I am so glad there are people out there who have had just as much fun reading this as I have had writing it. Thank you a thousand times. 

So here it is. The end. I hope it's a good one and I apologies again for not letting you know sooner. I hope you guys understand. 

________

"Hey, glad I caught ya!" he spoke, interrupting the music blasting through my earbuds.

"Hey Theo,"  I smiled warmly, though still a bit startled by his abrupt introduction. 

"You never called," he spoke again, his voice not as chipper as before, "it's been a week since our first date and you haven't called once," he reiterated. 

I could feel my heart sink a bit, a pang of all too familiar guilt washing over me. I somehow kept forgetting that though I wasn't actively pursuing a relationship with him, he was still after one with me. He had skin in the game, feelings on the line, and though I may not be affected, my actions actually hurt him. 

"I'm so sorry Theo, I've been so busy with this project for my art history class I haven't had much time" I rambled, not entirely lying. I really did have a massive project I was working on, but I certainly was not too busy to call him. It just seemed to be that all of the free time I did have was spent thinking back to the night of our first date. Yet my memories of that night were never about Theo, they were always about my interaction with Matty in the hall. 

There it was again, that damn guilt feeling. I had gone on a date with the hottest guy at the academy and all I could think about was the one minute I had spent in the hall with another man. My ex-boyfriend. The man I tried so hard to fall out of love with. Why was it so hard? 

"Can you make it up to me?" Theo pleaded, pulling me back into focus. 

"How so?" I asked, pausing my music as we continued to walk down the street. 

"Grab coffee with me right now," he suggested. 

"Theo..." I spoke.

"I know you're busy," he argued, "but you just got out of class and you deserve to give yourself a mental break before you do more work," he spoke, shooting me puppy dog eyes. "Just give me 30 minutes," he spoke finally.