chapter 17

2 weeks later

I keep looking at myself in the mirror. I put on a dress that shows off my usual figure but doesn't quite show off the slight bump I have on my stomach. The dress is a goldish yellow and I pair it with a pearl, white bag.

I don't want to go tonight

I don't want to go tonight. I really don't want to go. But nobody knows anything still, and everybody is happy as larry except from me. Harry is constantly on my mind. His dirty blonde hair. His laugh. His eyes. His cheeky smile.

I wait for my car to arrive outside and lean against my apartment building. The streets are busy and I can see various neighbours getting into taxis with nice clothes on. I assume Liv has decided to invite them as well.

I decide to walk away from my building because I can see my taxis registration plate arriving in the distance. I start walking towards the road, I hear a quick patter of heels behind me. It's Liv.

"Wait! Wait! I need a ride!" She's wearing a gorgeous silky, white evening dress with some white stilettos.

"I thought you'd gone already with," I pause, it was hard to say his name. "Harry."

"No, he was working today so he said he'd meet us there."

"Oh great. That's... great." I give her a reassuring smile.

"Are you okay Sal? You've been a bit off recently."

I nod, gritting my teeth. 'Off'' isn't the nicest word to use. I turn away from her walking towards the taxi.

"Fucking awesome, thanks Liv." I'm grateful she doesn't hear me, it slides of my tongue a bit too sarcastically.

She catches up to me and jumps into the taxi. Her excitement is making me tired, it's like having a five year old get into the car so we can go to the beach. I roll my eyes and get in beside her before we leave for the venue. It isn't too far away which means that most people will already be there by now.

We pull up to the building, the whole of it is Liv's scene. The grand, tall building, the posh hotel-style doors, the big windows, the balconys. I help her out of the car, feeling like a maid, then pay the driver through his window. Liv links her arm through mine and we walk towards the door. We head straight to the lift and tick our names off the guest list with the guy at the door.