chapter 19

I'm taking the lift down the building and basically repeating the night of the party. This time I am hoping that Chris would be at my office so I can talk to him.

I call an Uber and wait outside the building. It arrives and I am about to walk over to it before Simon and Harry both come shouting out after me.

"Sally! You need to fucking tell him!" Simon says.

"Tell him what Simon." I spit. I can't believe he's doing this.

"Tell me what?" Harry says angrily, "Oh for fucks sake guys, this is ridiculous!" I try not to look at his face, but I can tell he's had a decent amount to drink as he's slurring his words.

At this point I think I'm going to be sick. So I urgently look around for a bin before running over to one by the side of the road. I throw up. I feel like I'm in the middle of a TV novella, throwing up in front of my clueless exboyfriend.

I feel a hand on my back rubbing it in circles and I know immediately that it's Harry as he used to do this after we'd go to parties and he always used to be more sober than me.

"Sally, it's going to be fine. Stop worrying yourself." He whispers to me, I can slightly hear his voice breaking. I'm standing leaning over the bin sobbing and waiting for the next round of sick.

"It's fine I can take over, Harry." That's Liv I hear now.

"No, I can look after her. This calms her down." He says without thinking about it.

"How would you know?" She says, he voice slightly raises.

"I...Um... I don't know..."

"I'm done." I announce, standing straight. Simon walks over with a bottle of water and I rinse my mouth out.

"Okay. So I'm going. I'm done with this all, sorry. I can't do it anymore." I start walking towards the rows of cars by the roadside.

"Do what anymore?" Liv asks walking after me. I'm so fed up of it all, and I feel the lid coming off of the bottled up emotions I have in me.

I'm trying to work out how to word it all before Harry starts.

"It's Sally and me. Neither of us have told you something although we should have." He's shouting from a few metres away.

My tears are still flowing out at a fast rate and by now Liv is exactly the same. We're all standing in front of this building still.

"We dated in grammar school. Before Harry broke up with me and came to London. And I stayed for sixth form. He broke my heart over the phone and I hadn't seen him until the night before the reunion after I got drunk in the bar."

Liv scoffed. "So what you guys got drunk together?"

"We slept together that night. I'm so sorry, Liv, I really am." Harry says walking over to her trying to take her hand before she pulls away.

"What so I was some stupid rebound? You guys hadn't seen each other in that many years, fucked and then suddenly one of you proposes to someone and one of you goes to New York. Is this why you fucked your boss?"
That was directed at me.

I didn't say anything. I felt everyone's eyes turn to me.

"Oh fuck off Sally, don't even try to think of a lie. It was the night of the party. When everyone found out about me and Harry. I saw you leave, crying, I guessed it was because you were drunk and tired. You came home hours later wearing his shirt and smelling like him." She says with a smug smile on her face.

"You were asleep on the sofa, how would you even have known?"

"I went in your room to borrow a pair of heels the next day, his shirt was on your floor. Then that morning you had smelt like him- he wears distinct cologne don't even deny it." She crosses her arms.

"Okay, it happened. We had a moment and we kissed but we didn't go any further."

"You went far enough to lose each other's clothes, you slut! He's fucking married! Or do you like taking other people's boyfriends slash husbands slash fiancées!" Liv shouts getting louder and louder with each word, passers by stare at us.

"His wife fucked his brother I think it's fair to say he wasn't in a great place!" I shout back at her, "Neither of us were! You think it's easy when the love of your life is getting married to your best friend."

"Oh get over it! Get a new best friend! Don't fuck him and then not tell her. It's not like he knocked you up so fuck off!"

I think Simon senses my anger and dashes over to me to hold my arms so I don't slap her. I'm crying so much now I can't see clearly out of my eyes and my face is soaking wet with tears.

"Sally what's wrong?" I hear Will say. He's obviously come down to see if I'm okay, I wonder if they can hear our argument from the rooftop.

"Oh fuck off Will! You just want to have fucking sex with her then bin her off!" Harry shouts at him.

"No Harry, I'm a decent person. I'm trying to see if she's okay after the obvious mess you've left her in! And anyway you're the one that has had sex with her and binned her off! Have you seen the state she's in."

"Sally, look what you've done. You've fucked up so many relationships." Liv says slyly, "I think you should leave."

"Well I did get an Uber, I wanted to leave 15 minutes ago." I retort.

"No I meant leave London. Go somewhere else where you can leave people alone. Get over your mistakes."

"You're joking me." I scoff. I'm genuinely speechless at hor different she's being. I've never seen this side of her.

"No, I really want you to leave. For me and Harry to work, you can't be around. I don't like people who have fucked my fiancé." She smiles at the end of the sentence, happy she knows she's getting her own way.

I stare at everybody, they're all speechless. Or they agree. Maybe I should just leave London. I turn around on my heels. And get around the corner of the building away from everyone, I break down and collapse my legs giving in. To people walking by I probably look like a drunken mess but I'm a sober mess. The most surprising of them all.

I get a notification on my phone saying my Uber has arrived and I make dash for it. Liv, Harry, Simon and Will still standing there. I can see some of the boys walking over to them. I take one last look at Harry and go.