XXV

The run to the location where Lexa was awaiting was a long one and as they arrived, Clarke and Tori, forced the twins to hide their faces on their necks so they wouldn't see the gruesome image before them, thousands of Grounders slaughtered on the ground, instead, they kept walking towards the torch-lit tent, while Octavia stayed back to watch over camp.

The Guard stepped into the tent and warned Lexa that Clarke was back and that she brought three people with her before walking back out and allowing them to enter, Clarke entered first, holding Izzy, followed by a cloaked Tori, "Where's Octavia?" Indra instantly inquired from her rest spot on the ground, "She's watching over camp." Clarke replied before Indra asked again "And who are those?" her tone slightly hostile towards the newcomers. 

Tori leaned her head back and allowed the cloak to fall, revealing her face to her sister and Indra, causing a relieved sigh to escape their lips, "Tori!" Lexa breathed, walking to her sister and hugging her as best she could. "Lexa, Indra. These are Izzy and Alec, my children." She introduced, making the twins pull their head from the two women's necks to look at the new people. "Alec, Izzy. These are you Aunty Lexa and Indra." She told the kids as she and Clarke let the kids down, allowing them to stand next to Tori, half afraid. 

Lexa smiled at her newly acquired niece and nephew before turning to Clarke and inquiring "So tell us, Clarke, how does this end? Have you come up with a way to save your people yet again?" "No. Only you and Tori can do that." Clarke started, glancing at the white-haired Commander as she spoke, "What happened here was an act of war. Your army was here to help us, and my people slaughtered them. You have every right to respond, every right to wipe us out, or you can change the way you do things." She added.

"Why should they change? Blood must have blood." Indra commented, "Really? Because from where I stand, the only way that ends is with everyone dead. So what kind of leader do you want to be, the kind who kills every chance she gets because that's your way or the kind who shows the world a better way." Clarke explains, "You consider letting a massacre go unavenged a better way?" Lexa inquired, quite frustrated, "If it ends a cycle of violence, yes. If it brings about peace, yes. Someone has to take the first step. Let it be you. You say you want peace. Everything you've done was to achieve that, yet here we stand on the brink of another war, a war you could stop." Clarke told the sisters, who shared a deep look.

"Commanders, you can't seriously be considering this." Indra stated, "I'm not considering it. I'm doing it." Lexa said, shocking her sister, "Heda, please." Indra started but Lexa interrupted "Indra, our people act as if war is easier than peace. If that's so, should we not try and achieve the more difficult goal?"  "Polis will not support you. Titus..." Indra tried again, "Titus is my subject. They're all my subjects. Do you say they will defy me? Will you defy me?" Lexa interrupted once more prompting Indra to reply "No, Heda. I will not."

"Then let it be known. Blood must not have blood." Lexa stated before Tori commented "I don't agree with your decision sister. Blood must have blood, it's true that I have come to care for Skaikru, but what they did to us, to our people was beyond horrible. This is all Pike and I don't care if I have to do it myself but I want justice, I demand justice for our people. What would have happened if I had been here last night? What if I was among the dead? Would you still claim Blood must not have blood?"

The twins looked at their angered mother, wondering what they could do to soothe her anger, "They locked up our people inside, in a jail, even the sick ones. They didn't lock me up because I am a Heda and a mother, had it not been for that I would be locked up right now, worse I would have been killed in the woods before I was brought to you. Clarke you say you want peace, as do I. But Blood must have blood, it's the way we have ruled, the way the Commanders before us have ruled. With Pike there, Arkadia has stopped being my home. And now that Bellamy follows him, I know his alliances to the twins and I have changed. I want peace as much as anyone wants it, but I will not sacrifice my children for it." She continued to vent.

"So tell me, sister, do you still claim Blood must not have blood?" she inquired in the end. Lexa looked at her sister then at the blonde woman she'd come to care deeply for, she was torn, between the rational thing to do and the emotional thing to do, and as it has come to happen since meeting Clarke, Lexa decided, she uttered the words that would anger her sister beyond belief and cause yet another rift to open between them.

"I do. Blood must not have blood."