ᵒ³. ˢᵘᵐᵐᵉʳ ᵈᵃʸˢ.

,·*'∘,.·~'.˚∙.;'∘,·
.·* '∘ CHAPTER THREE: SUMMER DAYS *·˚;∘
·,∘';. ∙ ˚.'~·.,∘'*·,

THE SUMMER'S SUN was warm and inviting when Sar first opened her eyes in the morning, pooling through the window's parted curtains. Her alarm clock was beeping at her and the girl groaned, flailing out an arm to switch the machine off. It was at times like these that she wished she had El's powers. 9:00. Much too early for a summer morning.

          The blonde girl managed to shove herself out of bed and get dressed for work, running a brush through her soft, gold hair. The summer dress she threw on was short-sleeved, flowing and pale like soft silk. The number on her wrist played illusions on her mind in the mirror as she brushed her teeth, inky against her light skin. But it didn't matter. The lab was gone, now it was just a tattoo.

          The others were still asleep as she'd left, except for James who'd had a shift at the theatre at eight and had already left. They slept peacefully—she'd made sure they were free of nightmares. It had become her duty every night before she fell asleep.

          Her skin was warm as she closed the door quietly behind her, careful not to wake any of her family. She'd never been so grateful for summer before. It had been hard enough getting up for school in the cold, she didn't think she would be able to go to work in that weather. The sunlight created orange drops on her face, eyes glowing ocean-pale in its rays.

          Starcourt Mall was still quiet at this time of morning as Sara exited her car, yawning. She ran a hand over her face. It was much too early, this should be illegal. The girl passed the empty Scoops Ahoy store and walked to the second storey, where teenagers were already beginning to mill around and the store she was supposed to be stationed in already had its doors open.

          Sara skipped into Julius Records with a smile on her face and glitter in her hair. "Hey, Drew," Sar said as she skirted the counter, clipping her name badge reading 'SARA' on. She tucked her hair into its ponytail and her co-worker looked over at her with a bored expression on her face.

          "You're ten minutes late, Sara," he replied as he handed some customers some purchases, closing the register.

          The girl shot him a grin, "Sorry, it takes effort to look this good." Drew didn't bat an eye, wholly unamused and apparently unimpressed by her joke. Sar spotted a few boxes beneath the counter labelled 'NEW STOCK'. They must have been brought in last night. "Right. Well, anyway, I'm going to stock these new arrivals," Sar said, lifting the heavy box onto the counter. "You man the checkout for a while?"