¹⁶. ᵗʰᵉ ˢᵃʳᵃ ʰᵒᵖᵖᵉʳ ᶜᵒᵐᵖˡᵉˣ.

༉˚*ೃ ¹⁶. 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐀𝐑𝐀 𝐇𝐎𝐏𝐏𝐄𝐑 𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐏𝐋𝐄𝐗 !

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 woke Sar that next morning gave her one of the biggest frights of her life. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" —and, oh, Sar thought her eardrums might burst. She shot up so fast that her forehead slammed right into Katie's, who had been leaning over her, and both girls screeched in pain. Kate dropped back, hands flying to gripped her skull as she staggered dramatically. Eleven—the little shit—started laughing at them and, of course, James joined in.

          "Oh, fuck you," said Sar, pressing her fingers against the growing red mark on her forehead. "Really? Ow, Jesus that hurt. Katie, you've got such a thick skull." Her eyes were squeezed shut, teeth ground together.

          "That's all you," shot back the younger girl, tears filling her eyes from the pain but a grin breaking its way across her face. "Are you kidding? Sar, you could play football without a bloody helmet." Despite the fact that she was reeling from such a strong blow, Katie seemed significantly better than she had all week—like a weight had been lifted from her shoulders.

          Sar wanted to bite back, but she was too occupied with trying to push through her pain rather than come up with some comeback for her little sister. "Ah, shit, Kate." She laughed a little, a pained, fond kind of chuckle.

          "What a way to wake up," commented James with a grin, holding out a cake in front of him. It was clearly handmade, topped with yellow icing and a candle reading '18' stuck on the top. Sar grinned, it seemed they'd be having cake before breakfast. She'd fallen asleep in Katie's room on accident, after the talk they'd had last night—despite her intending to stay up to tell her father about all the strange happenings that had been going on. Her blonde hair was a messy halo around her head, covers tangled around her legs. Charles, who had fallen asleep with them, was nowhere in sight. "Happy eighteenth!" James told her, as Eleven stood behind him and waved mini 'happy birthday!' flags with both hands.

          "Thanks, guys," said Sar fondly, "that sure was a thrilling way to wake up." Eleven grinned and bounced towards Sara, reaching her hands out to her eagerly. When Sara took both of her hands, it was El who pulled her up out of the bed. Eleven absolutely adored birthday parties, somewhat even more than the person whose birthday it was.

          "Sorry about your head," apologised Eleven as she dragged Sar out of the duvet. There was still a throbbing in Sar's skull that wouldn't go away—but something about it made her grin. "That wasn't part of the plan. Katie was just being dumb." She said the words so sincerely, that next to her, Katie let out a small offended noise.