²³. ᶜᵃⁿ ʸᵒᵘ ʳᵉᵐᵉᵐᵇᵉʳ?

༉˚*ೃ ²³. 𝐂𝐀𝐍 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐑𝐄𝐌𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑?
(tw. ptsd and child abuse)

𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐈𝐑𝐄 𝐋𝐈𝐅𝐄, Sar had remembered every single moment spent inside that fucking laboratory. Every breath, every piece of pain, every interrogation, every time she held a dying child in her arms. She felt it every moment of every day. But now, Sar felt a little like she was floating—like maybe her body wasn't her own and she was drifting away from it and all the trauma. Now, for the first time, she didn't feel its weight on her chest.

           It felt... nice.

            "So," the General interrupted Sar's train of thought as he entered back through the door in front of her, followed by his soldiers and the same doctor from earlier, "now you will talk." The tone was more of a command than a question, filled with authority. Sar trailed her eyes up from his clackity boots to his wrinkled face.

            "Talk about what?" she murmured, her head hot and fuzzy. There was laughter hovering somewhere on her tongue. Despite her arms still being tied behind her back, she gave the General a lazy, doped-up grin. Her body felt light and weightless, like she could just about float. It was making her smile absentmindedly.

          The General took another step towards her, his arms tucked behind his back. It seemed he'd had some time to think while the drug had kicked in, because the first thing he asked her was: "Why did all those men collapse earlier?" 

            Even in her high state, Sar knew that was bad. Bad that he knew something was up, bad that he thought she might know why. She tried her best to bite her tongue and lie—her head was still light enough to at least try—which proved to be harder than expected. Something clumsy and unbelievable fumbled out of her mouth. "I think it was the portal," Sar managed to say, "you know, the spinning one? It— it does that sometimes. Had absolutely nothing to do with us." She grinned again and blinked sleepily. Her argument was entirely unconvincing and the performance was about the worst she'd ever given.

          She was blinking to herself, trying to clear the blurriness of her vision. Though she was smiling, there was something about feeling like this that made Sar feel wrong. She felt light and heavy at the same time, limbs weighed down, head lolling. She'd been this way before. Before. It made her stop a little, her smile fade. She didn't like it so much anymore, because the drug was supposed to make her feel good, not like this.