Engineered Empress Part 10

Chapter 10

The next day she helped Marr packaging the algae starter units, until it was time to go to meet the pilot. Marr explained on the way to the Tharsis, that she planned to charter her and the pilot, to carry Facet Inc. products to the Keplar III station. It is a small station, usually used as overlay between routes and for resupply. Marr hoped her algae starter would fly as fast from the shelves there as it did here in Hunters Back. While coming up at the bay where the Tharsis docked Bia saw the only individual she never wanted to see again.

Bia clenched her teeth together and worked furiously to regain control over her feelings. Hunter stood there dressed properly waiting for them to arrive. Seeing her fighting her feelings he watched emotionless until they neared and smiled as Marr strode up to him, hand extended.

"Hello, young man. Nice to meet you, I am Marr Norcott, and this is Bia Norcott our pilot in training. Are you our new pilot for the Tharsis?" Hunter glanced at Bia and gave both of them a charming smile, while shaking Marrs hand.

"Yes mam, I am Damon Hunter your pilot if you'll hire me. I understand that I am here to train and oversee Miss Norcott. What kind of runs do you expect to make?" Bia's hands formed fist, and she couldn't believe how that Neanderthal was sweet talking Marr, but for now they needed his help until she gained her required 200 hours experience, that's why she smiled sweetly and ignored the anger brewing in her belly. She held out her hand and asked softly.

"Mister Hunter, nice to meet you. Do you have any identification? You probably understand as a young woman I can never be too careful. It wouldn't do to be stuck later with a violent thug or a pirate alone on board." Bia and Hunter shook hands, a tiny bit harder than it was good manners, locked gazes and then proceeded into the Tharsis' galley, were he showed them his papers and they talked about the run to the space station Keplar III.

During the whole conversation Bia dampened the fire in her belly and tried to keep civil, if not only for Marr's sake then for Ceri, and Zar. Then Marr stood up and excused herself.

„Well Bia, Mister Hunter, I will leave you now to it. Please take the time to get to know each other. Bia, hon, make a list of the items you need to make the journey there and back and send it to me later. I will get everything ready for you, so you can leave tomorrow. Have a good day Mister Hunter." With a last nod to them, she left the ship. As soon as she left the room Hunters eyes strayed back to Bia and seeing the anger brewing in her, he sighed, folded his hands on the table and said.

"I'm sorry Bia, I behaved abhorrently yesterday. I was out of line threatening you. I had my reasons to suspect foul play but didn't take the time to analyze if you could even fit the profile, as I saw you with Zacharias. And when I saw you with my uncle, I just reacted protecting him. I am sorry, and I hope you accept my apology." Bia nodded; she did understand wanting to protect their loved ones. Releasing her anger and the stiffness in her shoulders with a sigh she told him.

"Apology accepted. I can understand being protective of your friends. But why do you think somebody has it in for Zar? He's asleep now 19 years. Who would hold a grudge that long?" Hunter frowned for a second then replied.

"I don't know. We were team members and got disbanded after a nasty mission. He even went to jail for it and ended up in coma. I shipped him here, so my uncle could keep an eye on him. His family wasn't interested in having him. Occasionally I come by and visit. Then three of my former teammates were killed gruesomely and I wanted to check on him in person." Bia frowned.

"Gruesome how?" Hunter took a good look at Bia. Not sure if he should share the horrifying details with her, but the steel in her shoulders and the firm look in her eyes softened his resolve.