~Chapter Three~

I hesitated as my foot made contact with the pavement. I wasn't sure if Nancy truly meant what she said this morning about joining her and her friends for lunch or was it just a polite gesture she makes with all the new students.

I was just about to turn around when I heard Nancy call my name. "Shit" I whispered under my breath.

"Phoebe" she yelled as she waved her hand in the air. I continued to make my way closer to her as there was no turning back now.

"Hey Phoebe. This is Steve my boyfriend and this is Jonathan" Nancy announced, introducing me to the two boys who sat next to her. "This was the new student from this morning" she explained to Steve and Jonathan.

"Hi I'm phoebe" I said with a single wave of my hand.

"So Phoebe where you from and most importantly why Hawkins?" Steve asked. He was snuggled up to Nancy, both were seated on the hood of the car.

"Uh, I'm technically from Hawkins, I mean I was born here but shortly after my parents moved to Pittsburgh.... A new start was needed so that's why I'm back" I responded with hesitation in my voice.

"Oh nice, most people from Hawkins stay in Hawkins, you're like a rare exception" Steve said completely amazed before taking a bite the sandwich he Nancy were sharing.

"Well welcome to the boring town of Hawkins" Jonathan joked or I believe he was joking. I watched as Jonathan secretly looked at Nancy every once in awhile. He's stares indicated to me that he liked Nancy but held back his feelings because of her current situation with Steve.

"So what's fun to do around here?" I asked curious as to what this town as to offer.

As if on command the three of them choked, giving each other weird glances.

"Uh, there's a movie theater and some stores to shop in. Mostly just parties though" Nancy said.

"Who's that?" I asked pointing towards Billy. I was curious as to what his story was.

"Oh uh that's Billy Hargrove. He only just moved here a few days ago and has the reputation of being Hawkins' newest badass" Jonathan explained.

"He's no good, don't get involved with him" Nancy warned. I shook my head at the new information given to me taking one more glance at Billy before turning my attention back to my new friends.

Nancy, Jonathan, Steve and I talked a little more until lunch was over. I headed to PE class to find once again Billy in my class. To my surprise, however, Steve was also in it. I learned that most of the girls watched the guys play basketball so I followed in suit.

From the bleachers you could tell that Steve and Billy had some sort of beef with each other. Billy was trying to embarrass Steve by calling him names and pushing him down every so often.

By the end of game, Steve looked sweaty and winded while Billy looked like he barely broke a sweat. He pushed Steve down on the ground and whispered something before leaving him. Steve got off the floor and sprinted towards the locker rooms.

After the gym class ended I changed back in my clothes and began the walk home. It was peacefully quiet my walk leaving me to my thoughts.

I began to walk up my driveway when I saw two people conversing with my dad in front of our house. As I approached the front door my dad acknowledged my presence.

"Ahh Phoebe, this Neil and Susan Hargrove. Their our neighbors. They just moved to Hawkins about a two weeks ago" my dad explained.

"Hi I'm Phoebe" I said shaking both their hands.

"I was just telling your dad that we have a daughter that needs a babysitter every once in a while. We thought maybe you'd be interested" Susan said smiling.

"Of course" I replied with a smile.

"Great tomorrow night? 7pm?" She asked. I shook my head yes before walking inside the house. I placed my bag down, grabbed an apple and headed to my room. I stared at the ceiling for the next hour or so until my dad called me downstairs for dinner.

I turned the corner to see TV dinners fresh from the microwave sitting on the table.

"Meatloaf yum" I sarcastically joked to my dad who gave me a look before sitting down. I slowly ate the mashed potatoes but mostly played with my food. Swirling the contents of the plastic container around.

"Stop playing with your food and just eat the damn meal" my dad barked. I looked up at him dropping my fork and stomping upstairs. I refused to force food down my throat, especially when I didn't want to be here in the first place. I saw it as an act of rebellion, one, however, that wouldn't win the fight.

I slammed my bedroom door and locked it, ignoring the calls from dad. Instead I went straight to bed waiting for the engine of the car to roar and put me to sleep.