~Chapter Five~

"Nancy I'm not sure if I want to come tonight" I said into the phone as I twirled the cord around my finger. Nancy and Steve invited me to Tina's big Halloween bash tonight.

"C'mon Phoebe we're all gonna get sheet faced and then Jonathan will drive us home" Nancy chuckled into the phone. Her persuasive side was strong and I honestly didn't know how to argue with her.

"Fine, but I'm not coming in a costume" I said in a serious tone.

"Good just be ready by 9, Jonathan is going to pick us all up" Nancy said before ending the call. I headed downstairs to tell my dad about the plans I had for tonight.

"Dad I'm going to Nancy's tonight and Jonathan is going to pick me up. We have a huge science project due soon" I lied. I had my arms crossed behind my back and began to rock on the heels of shoes waiting for his response.

"That sounds nice" my dad said not straying his view from the newspaper he was currently reading. I sprinted up the stairs and back to my room before he had time to process what I asked, or worse what he had agreed to.

I hoped in the shower letting the warm water release all the tension I had been carrying in my body. I lathered my hair with my strawberry scented shampoo. I then rinsed away the soap and added conditioner the ends of my hair before turning the water off. I wrapped the towel around my body and headed back to my room to check on the time.

The clock read 8:00 which meant I had just about an hour to get dress and doll myself up. I let my hair air dry as I applied a light layer of makeup, mostly foundation to cover my horrid complexion. I then curled my hair and headed back to my closet to get dressed.

Pittsburgh was definitely a hip place with the best fashion, so I wasn't worried about my wardrobe being anything less than party material.

My eyes fell on to this knitted mini skirt I had bought right before the move. I paired it with a thin long sleeve and matching boots. I then walked over to the mirror and decided I looked fine. I placed my necklace back on, I always wore it and only took it off for showers and swimming. I always fear I'll lose it down the drain or something.

I looked back over to my clock and saw 8:56. I swiped some lip gloss on before sprinting down the stairs and out the front door. Jonathan was parked in front of my house.

"Sorry to keep you waiting" I said as I hopped into the back seat.

"No worries I was early" Jonathan said before pulling away from my house.

"Damn Phoebe you look hot" Nancy said.

"Really you think so?"

"Please, where did you get that skirt? I'd kill for something like that" Nancy said before shifting her attention back to the road and assisting Jonathan to the party's location.

We pulled up and Nancy and I hopped out.

"Thanks Jonathan" I said before following Nancy into the party. She lead me straight to punch bowl and handed me a cup.

"Cheers" she said clinking our plastic cups together and gulping the cup in one go. I followed in pursuit not wanting to seem lame or anything. She refilled the cup before heading to find Steve.

"Great I'm all by myself" I thought as I sipped the juice from my cup. A couple more cups later and the alcohol was starting to hit me. I walked through the dance floor looking for Nancy but with no luck she wasn't there. I headed outside to see people doing keg stands.

I knew better...I shouldn't have made this type of reputation for myself this early but the alcohol made me lack any type of common sense tonight.

I pushed my way through the crowd standing next to the keg.

"You wanna try?" A guy asked.

"Sure why not" I said. The guy looked around before agreeing to let me have a go.

"You have to do a hand-" the guy began but I cut him off with my hand. "I know how it goes" I said before pressing on the keg and having my feet lifted. The same guy placed the nozzle in my mouth and they began to cheer and count.

"...50, 51, 52, 53" They counted before I tapped out.

"Well looks like we have a new keg stand king" the guys yelled. Everyone cheered as I had my feet placed back on the ground and wiped the drips of beer that escaped from the corner of my lips. I did a little bow for everyone who was cheering.

"You surprise me ever time I see you" a voice said behind me.