~Chapter Twelve~

Beep Beep Beep

The alarm rang and I groaned knowing I had to get ready and go to school. I threw on a skirt and a turtle neck sweater. I then grabbed the boots out of my closet and the jean jacket Billy made me wear yesterday. I grabbed an apple and began my walk to school.

As I approached the parking lot I saw Billy leaning against his car smoking his cigarette. I walked over to him with the jacket in hand.

"This belongs to you" I said extending my arm out. Billy took the jacket from my hands and slipped it on. I walked away towards the school doors not exchanging another word or glance with him.

"Phoebe" Nancy called out I turned around to her and Jonathan walking in.

"Hey guys" I said

"I heard you and Billy broke up" Nancy exclaimed. I was amazed at how fast news spread at Hawkins High but again it was 'the Billy Hargrove' we are talking about.

"Yeah just wasn't working out" I said with a soft smile. Nancy placed a hand on my shoulder giving me a supportive smile.

"You can come over tonight. Jonathan and I are going to study" Nancy said.

"I'd love to but I agreed to babysit tonight last week" I explained. Nancy shook her head okay. I exchanged a goodbye and walked to my class.

The stares subsided which was nice and I no longer had girls giving me nasty looks. I walked into Science to find Billy and some girl sitting at the lab table. I in turn was forced to sit in the only empty seat. I walked over to the seat in the back next to some geeky kid.

I looked over every once and a while to find Billy and the girl completely infatuated with each other. They never once looked at the board or somewhere else, instead they talked the whole time.

At lunch I decided to head home and skip gym. I began the walk down the road when a car stopped next to me.

"Need a ride?" Steve asked. I thought about it for a second before hopping in.

"So ditching school I see" Steve commented.

"I could say the same about you"

"I'm going to pick out flowers for Nancy. I'm going to apologize on Saturday and hope she'll take me back"

"Well I hope it works out for you" I said. "I live on Maplewood" I commented as Steve drove. He shook his head and turned down the one road that led to mine.

"I'm having a party tomorrow night. I hope you can make it" he said with a nervous smile.

"I'll be there" I replied his face revealing a slightly happier smile as we pulled up in front of my house.

"Thanks Steve, for the ride" I said closing the door and waving goodbye as he pulled away. I walked inside making myself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch. I plopped on the couch and watched tv until around 6:50 when I headed over to Billy's house.

I knocked on the door. Max opened it and ushered me inside.

"Hey I was hoping we could bake cookies or something" Max said showing my the cookie sheets and the cookie batter she had prepped.

"Sounds fun" I said. Susan and Neil told me they would be back in a few hours as they went to see a movie.

"So how's school going?" I asked Max as we laid the precut cookie dough on the sheet.

"Good... I like this boy but.. Billy doesn't approve of him" Max quietly whispered.

"I can try to talk to Billy if you want, you think about it" I said, Max looked up at me nervous and shook her head no.

"No, that's okay" she protested as she placed the tray of cookies in the oven. As we began to clean up the mess Billy comes strolling down the stairs.

"Smells good Max what are-" he began before he noticed me.

"We are making cookies. Should be done in ten minutes if you want some" I said looking at Billy. He had a white button down on which was completely unbuttoned, along with jeans and the jean jacket I gave back today.

"Thanks but I have date to go on" Billy rudely said. He grabbed his keys and cigarettes off the counter and hurried out the door.

"Let's watch a movie" Max said dragging me to the living room. I had a hard time watching the movie with Max as my thoughts wandered about Billy.

How could one person move on so fast. Technically we weren't dating but are girls that crazy to have a go at Billy Hargrove. My thoughts were interrupted by the cookie timer.

"I'll get it" I said to Max who was still on the couch watching the movie. I placed the oven mitts on my hands and pulled the tray of cookies out. They smelt good and looked perfect. As they cooled I grabbed two plates and put two cookies on each bring it back into the living to finish watching the movie.

Just as the movie wrapped up Susan and Neil came home.

"That boys out again probably at another party" Neil hissed to Susan as they walked through the front door.

"He's a teenager Neil leave him be" Susan calmly stated. She walked into the living room with a smile on her face.

"Smells good in here. Thanks again Phoebe" she said handing me the money. I smiled, thanked her and Neil and said goodbye to Max before heading home.

After hearing what Billy's dad does to him I can only imagine what's going to happen tonight when he came home. I climbed through the front door and up the stairs to my bed. I slipped under the covers trying hard to fall asleep but it was no use.

I was too worried about what would happen to Billy. I anxiously awaited the engine sound to come barreling down the road.

Eventually around 11:30 Billy returned home. I peeked out my window to see Neil come running out of the house screaming at Billy.

I laid back in bed afraid to watch in case something bad happened to him.