Chapter 3

Serenity's POV

        "Hey, Liz. Are you still up for the beach? I'm up and ready to go." "Yes, I am. Are you going to ride over here, or do you want me to ride to your place and meet you there?" she asked. As I was putting on my Vans, I said,"I'll ride down to your house because we can just go from there to the beach. It's way out of the way if you come to my house!" I could hear in Lizzie's voice that she agreed. At that time, I decided to hurry up and leave because I heard her opening up her garage door, which signaled she was ready to go.

        Lizzie and I have been bestfriends ever since we met in the 4th grade. I'll never forget how it all came about. I entered into my homeroom class the first day of school, wide-eyed and a little nervous. As I looked around, I saw a few kids I knew from previous years. I was in the middle of walking over to them when something caught my eye. A girl, sitting by herself, just off in her own world. She was examining everything that made up the classroom, and I was fascinated by how she was just taking it all in. She had to be new to our school because I had never seen her before, and our school was small, so everyone knew everyone, for the most part.

        I looked her over, and I discovered we had on the same shoes, Sketcher Light-Ups. Immediately, I stopped, turned in the direction of the girl, and made my way up to her. She looked a little startled at first, so I thought it would be good to start out by saying, "Hi, I'm Serenity. You look new here, so I thought you could use a friend. I like your shoes, by the way." The girl's face lit up when I got out my few sentences. She noticed we had the same shoes on, and she giggled some. "I like yours, too. I'm Lizzie, but if you want, you can call me Liz. I am new here, so it's kinda scary," she said timidly.

       Our conversation carried on until the teacher made us take our seats, but we didn't mind because we just sat next to one another. After that, Liz and I had become inseparable. We did absolutely everything together, even if we didn't have the same classes. We live about a street down from each other, so as we have grown up, we spend almost every single day together. She's my only close friend, except for maybe two more people.

      Before I left my house, I saw a note on the fridge door, and I knew it was from my dad. It read, "RenRen, I'm going out to get some stuff for the house, and this time, I won't forget to get your decorations for your room. Don't worry if I'm not home until later, though. I'm going out to dinner with Stacey tonight. Call if you need me. Love always, Daddy." I groaned after reading it over again. "Why Stacey?" I thought to myself while getting my board and closing my front door. I wasn't going to think about it because I just wanted to let loose and have some fun today.

       Liz was at the end of her paved driveway when I reached the top of the hill before her house. She waved and started to make her way to me on her new board. We stopped for a few, talked about her board, and started to make our way to the boardwalk. Living in Venice was the best thing ever, really. We're super close to LA, Venice Beach, and the boardwalk. When we reached our destination, we saw all the people and at that moment, Liz and I both knew it was going to be a good afternoon.