Chapter 18

Serenity's POV

        Events were jumbled together after leaving LAX until I saw an ambulance pass my car at a red light. It was coming from where Lizzie would be driving through, and just seeing that made me flick on my blinkers. Traffic began to flow once again and finally let me pass through. I knew I was speeding, but I needed to get to the hospital as soon as possible. When I made it into the parking lot, I started to run to the front doors. The lady behind the desk had to ask me to slow my words down while I was trying to find out where my bestfriend was. Out of breath, I was trying my best to speak to her and a few other nurses. "I-I-I my bestfri-e-end. Lizzie. She wa-s-s in a-a wreck," One of the nurses came back from behind the desk and put her hand on my back. "Ma'am, please, just take a breather for a second. The sooner you get some breaths in, the quicker we can find out where your friend is." I took a few steps back and let my mind clear. I let my breathing come back to normal and said,"Okay. My bestfriend, Lizzie, she was in a wreck. Her last name is Bell. I just, please tell me what's going on." The nurse was taking in all that I was spilling out at her very well. I knew because she was typing as fast as I was telling her all the facts I knew. The nurse nodded,"Yes, I see. Lizzie Bell. I can't tell you anything without one of the guardians releasing me to do so. I'm very sorry." My anger was building up as I tried to convince the nurse to tell me just anything about Liz. 

        I started to give up on getting her to spill some information, so as a result, I turned and walked in the direction of the waiting room. I tried to call Lizzie's mom and got no answer. The doors of the "Emergency/Ambulance" entrance flung open as a group of doctors pushed a gurney in. I couldn't make out what they were frantically saying to one another, but it was obvious the patient needed serious medical attention. Following the doctors was a woman that I didn't want to make myself believe it was. Lizzie's mom, Kathy, was trying her best to ask what was going on with her daughter and what Lizzie needed to be done to make her stable. 

        I jogged over to Mrs. Bell and tried to assist her as much as I could in that moment in time. I was pulled in the back with her to wait for the doctor to tell us what he could. As time passed, it felt like hours, but only minutes were passing. Shortly after settling down in the waiting area in the patient family area, a doctor came out to talk with Mrs. Kathy and I. "Is my daughter okay? What is going on? Why haven't any of y'all told me anything?" The tall, slim doctor motioned for Lizzie's mom to sit back down and listen. "Mrs. Bell, do you know how your daughter got in the wreck she was in?" Kathy shook her head that she didn't really know how the wreck happened. "Ma'am, Lizzie wasn't speeding. I can reassure you she wasn't. Lizzie went to take a corner and hit loose gravel that somehow made it into the road. Of course, when back roads are taken, it's normal for gravel to be scattered out in the road. When Lizzie hit the gravel, she was caught off guard and swerved. Trying to re-correct herself, she swerved once more back to the left. That caused her to go off the road, and by doing so, Lizzie hit multiple trees in her pathway. She came to a complete stop in the small stream and was helped by a man who saw Lizzie go off the road." 

        Mrs. Kathy and I sat in utter shock when the doctor finished telling us what Lizzie went through. I blurted out,"Is she okay though? What is going on now?" The doctor replied by saying,"Well, we do have her stable now. Lizzie has lost a lot of blood, so while getting her ready for surgery, we are pumping some blood in her. We are preforming surgery because she broke her leg, but other than that, nothing too serious. We were worried at first because of how much blood she had lost. Now, all we are concerned about is Lizzie's memory. Her head is banged up pretty bad, so once she wakes up after everything, the nurses and I are going to talk to her and see what she remembers. We'll have both of you come in to talk to her, also." Lizzie's mom had to go sign some papers for legal reasons, and while she was going through the process in the small office, I took a small walk around the few wings on the section of the hospital. It reminded me of when I was younger and rushing into this part of it. I remembered how Lizzie and I hadn't talked and how devastated I would be if I lost my bestfriend. I knew Liz was strong, but how could I not worry about it?