Chapter 20

Serenity's POV

        "Serenity, you can come in now." Lizzie's mom waved to me to come into Lizzie's recovery room. Hours had passed since Lizzie went into surgery, and now, the anesthesia was wearing off, causing her to become coherent. When I took a few steps into the room, Lizzie's eyes adjusted on me from the t.v. Mrs. Kathy had turned on for her. A tiny grin formed my face when I saw that she was okay. Since Lizzie and I hadn't really gotten along lately, I was a little worried about how she would feel about me being there. I pulled up a chair next to Lizzie's bed and took a seat. As I plopped down into the seat, the cushion made a farting noise. Lizzie giggled and shook her head. "Couldn't hold it, could you?" Her voice sounded a little weak but cheery. "Liz, it was the chair's cushion. Still the same Lizzie, huh?" Lizzie grabbed the hospital remote and turned down what she was fixated on. 

        "Serenity, I was so scared." The smile on her face vanished as Lizzie spoke to me. "Do you remember anything, Liz? At all?" Lizzie rested her head on the pillow that was put in place for her. Liz thought for a moment and said,"Well, I do remember me running over something and it startling me. Then, I know I swerved and tried to correct myself. I do recall going off the road, and about that time, I blacked out, I think." 

        The room fell silent when Liz finished speaking. I looked over all the monitors beside her and tried to make out what they were all for. "That one is for my heart. Looks like I have one after all, Ren." Lizzie tossed her head back and chuckled to herself some. My eyes rolled in response to what she had just said. "Lizzie, you're an idiot. but you're my bestfriend. That means I have to love you, even when you do and say things like that." Liz took a sip of some type of juice the nurse had given her and threw up the okay sign with her hand. As Lizzie turned the volume of the t.v. up, she mumbled, "I'm still your bestfriend? Wow." I cut my eyes at her, causing Liz to look over at me. "Of course you're still my bestfriend. What kind of question is that. Yeah, you upset me some and were hateful, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to care about you and be here for you, Lizzie." "I shouldn't have blamed you for my stress about finals. About the whole fandom thing, yeah, I shouldn't have said all that. That all still matters to me." I was taken back by what she confessed. "But, I thought it didn't matter to you and was meaningless." Lizzie sighed and replied by saying,"All the things I've said to you lately, I didn't mean, okay?"

        "Okay, Liz. What time is it?" Lizzie and I checked the time about the same time, and said,"Almost nine" in unison. I patted my knees and asked Liz when she was supposed to leave the hospital. "The last I heard was in the morning. Since I just have a cast and stitches, I can come to school if I want to. I just may. I can be pushed around in a wheel-chair longer." Lizzie smirked. "Okay, Visiting hours are about over, so I'll see you tomorrow, love. When you get out, text me. I love you." I leaned down and gave my bestfriend of many years a tight squeeze. Before I left out of the room, I heard Lizzie whisper,"I love you, Ren. So much."