Chapter 8

The day before Matthew leaves (Monday)

Serenity's POV

          It's Monday. I seriously hate Mondays with a passion. I can see the sun starting to rise through my bay window across from my bed, so I know my alarm clock will go off any minute now. I roll over and try to sleep just for a little longer, but all of that was interrupted. Right when I got comfortable, the song "U Guessed It" began to blast from my phone. Mr alarm. How great. I stumbled out of bed, took my shower, and went to start my make-up routine. I heard the stairs creak and turned my head to my door. My dad knocked and asked for permission to come in. He's always so good about that ever since he walked in on me getting dressed and freaked out.

          "I thought you would want something to eat before I left for work, so I got you McDonalds," my dad smiled, handing me the the bag that smelled of syrup and hashbrowns. I put down my eyeliner and opened it to see all what was inside the bag. "Dad, you didn't have to get me all this. I could've made something before I left for school, but thank you so much," I replied, saying with a" you shouldn't have" expression on my half done up face. My dad shook his head and said,"I know how much you love your caramel frappé and pancakes on Monday mornings and haven't been able to get it for you in a while, so I thought you would enjoy it today." I nodded and thanked my dad once more, which he took it as a cue to leave and let me finish getting ready.  My dad hated when I was late for school and hated it even more when he was the reason for it.

           I made the decision to let Lizzie drive my car while I ate my food on the way to school. We only have  about three weeks of our senior year left, but that doesn't mean it's play time. The whole school is finishing up last minute studying before the final exams. While Lizzie drove and I ate, we babbled about all the big things that were going to happen in the next month or so. Stopped at a stoplight, Lizzie questioned me,"Do you think we'll bomb some of these finals?" I choked on my almost swallowed pancake and said,"Lizzie. We're basically the smartest students in the grade. Why would you even ask that? I highly doubt we will fail any of them. Besides, we've been studying all the examples that the teachers gave us." Lizzie hesitated before letting her mouth get ahead of her by replying with,"I just think we focused too much on Twitter and the Magcon boys." I cut my eyes at her and let venom come out of me,"For one, they aren't called Magcon boys." I put quotations around Magcon boys when I said it. "For two, if you were so worried about these upcoming finals, you wouldn't have been at the beach with me. Don't start blaming your potential failing grade on a test on the guys or me. I've studied a lot with you, I don't see why you're so worried, Lizzie." Liz put the car in parked and looked over at me, seeing me checking my Twitter feed. She hissed,"See. You can't stay off of Twitter for more than five seconds. Serenity, I know you support them, but let's just come back to reality. You're never going to get to talk to them on a personal level, nor will you ever get a chance with them. I think it's time to just get real."

          By the time she finished spewing her opinion, I was done listening to her crap. "Ya know, Liz, I don't see why all of the sudden you're acting like you don't support them or like you've never talked about getting with Jack Gilinsky, Sammy, or better yet, all of them. Like I said, don't start blaming your worries on me or the guys. You chose to do what you've done these past few weeks instead of studying constantly. Now, when you come to the realization it's not anyone's fault but yourself, you can speak to me. Until then, don't bother with it. Also, you may want to start looking for a ride home because it's not in this car." Liz's eyes squinted and her face was starting to get red from her anger. She yanked the keys out of the ignition, threw them at me, and stormed out of the car. With that, Lizzie was off to enter the high school, not even taking a second to look back at my Mustang.