Chapter 2

The Academy was in a massive gray stone castle. Rare flowers decorated the grounds outside and students walked about freely despite it being the middle of the night. "Located on the four corners of the property are the four dorm houses. Your dorm is the House of Warriors. Above the door, you'll find your tribal marking above it. There is also a statue of Andrus on either side." The High Priestess explained to me.

We walked down a hall filled with stained glass windows and paintings of past battles between light and dark. I stayed silent as I followed them. They took me to a training field where all of the student warriors and some adults who were training them were all gathered. Training stopped when they noticed us.

"Captain Roark, this is our newest warrior, " Batair introduced once a man approached us. He had a scar on the left side of his face going from just below his eye to his jaw. The man looked me up and down, before chuckling at Batair, "You can't be serious." "I am very serious. Cleo is our first female warrior, " Batair told him. "Cleo, this is Captain Roark. He's the leader of the warriors stationed here."

"This woman is no warrior, " Captain Roark declared. "I marked the lass myself, " Batair told him. Captain Roark came closer to me. I kept my head high as he did so. I refused to be seen as weak. I was a human amongst many witches, werewolves, and vampires. There were a couple of humans here and there amongst them, but they were scarce. "Any fighting experience, " Captain Roark asked me. "Nothing like what you guys do, " I told him. "She was a street fighter, " Batair told him.

That made the Captain laugh. "Paid to be a punching bag, " The Captain asked me after he calmed down from his laughter. I crossed my arms, "Think what you want. I was marked, so that is in the past. What's important is that you drop this sexist attitude and fucking deal with it." He bared his sharpened canines and growled at me. "You need to learn respect, " He told me. "Respect is a two-way street. It's not blindly given, it has to be earned, " I countered.

"It is late for the girl. She had just been marked and needs to rest, " Sonya told him. Captain Roark growled softly, "Taos, take the girl to one of our available rooms." There were some complaints from the others about not wanting a woman in the House of Warriors, but they had no choice.

Taos was one of the silent ones. He was African American with long black hair braided down his back. He gestured for me to follow him. I shoved my hands in the pockets of my hoodie, not caring that I felt them staring holes in my back. "Ignore them, " He said once we were far enough away from the group. "Having a woman among us will be an uncomfortable change, but a few of us figured it would happen sooner or later." I shrugged, "I don't really care what they say."

We became silent again as we came to the House of Warriors. Andrus stood strong and powerful on either side of the door. We went in and I wasn't surprised by the very masculine look of the common room. Three large flat-screen TVs were spread throughout the room with sitting areas of brown leather chairs and couches in front of each. Swords and shields hung on the walls and a large stone fireplace was on one of the walls. On either side, we're trophy cases with only a few trophies. "I take it you guys don't win very often, " I asked him. "Unfortunately, " He answered. "You see, there are several Academies spread around the world. Every year the student warriors gather here for a series of games and competitions. This year we have been gifted with many talented warriors, so hopefully this year we could win a few games."

We then went up a spiral staircase until we got to the seventh floor. We got to a door and he opened it. "This will be your room for the next four years, " He told me. "Most times we pair four in a room, but since you're the only female, you'll have it all to yourself."

The room was as large as my apartment when it came to square feet. It had four closets, a bathroom, four twin-size mattresses, four tall dressers, and a nightstand beside each of them. "In the drawer of each nightstand is our Warrior handbook and the school handbook, " He told me. "Whoever is chosen as your mentor will be by tomorrow with your class schedule."

I nodded, "Thanks." He left and I shut the door. I sighed and dropped my bag on to one of the beds. I opened one of the closets and saw they provided hangers. I hung up my jeans and shirts before folding the rest and putting them in a dresser. I then put the photo of my mom on my nightstand. She had gorgeous, sun gold hair and bright sapphire eyes. I got my father's light brown hair, but I got her eyes. I also got her light dusting of freckles across my cheekbones and nose.

"What do I do mom, " I asked her photo softly. I looked around the room and sighed. I was going to be in one place for the next four years, then who knows what was going to happen to me. Will I be killed by my gift or master it? Only time will tell me. Until then, I'm gonna have to get used to it here.

I opened the nightstand and grabbed the Warrior Handbook. The warrior symbol was on the cover. I opened it and saw a list of rules.

1. Always display your mark or wear one of the provided jackets or shirts that has the symbol sewn in.

2. During free time student warriors are not allowed to be armed unless instructed to do so.

3. No one from other houses is allowed inside the House of Warriors.

4. First-year students can't use their abilities without guidance from their mentor.

5. During traditional celebrations, scars are to be on display for both students and full warriors.

6. Students can't swear themselves to someone until they're full warriors.

7. Student's can't accept a warrior swearing themselves until they have become a full warrior.

8. Students and full warriors are forbidden from having relationships together.

9. Student warriors are held to the highest of standards. So is their attire. Sagging pants, clothing with profanity, partially nude women, or anything vulgar will not be tolerated both during courses or during your free time.

10. Harassment of classmates for race, species, homosexuality, abilities, or gender else will not be tolerated. Punishment will vary on the severity of harassment and the number of offenses.

11. Don't let romantic relationships interfere with grades, training, or any duties given to you by your mentor.

12. Curfew is from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday - Thursday. All students must stay in the House of Warriors during the curfew.

13. Grades are just as important as warrior training. Start to let them slip and you will be punished. The lowest a warrior can get is a C.

The rules were simple and easy to follow. I turned the page that talked about the traditions.

The Games.

Students are allowed to sign up to participate in the games. It gives them a chance to show off their skills and abilities. The school that has the most wins by the end of the games will be considered the champions until the next year.

Dragon Festival.

The Dragon Festival is a time where warriors both full and students gather around and celebrate for three days, the anniversary of the first warrior's victory against the dragons of darkness. Drinks and stories are shared.

Christmas.

In the common room, a tree is put up and all of the students and full warriors put an ornament on the tree that means something to them. They put all of the gifts they got for each other under the tree. Most times it's the person who has the most respect that is given the most presents. After the gift exchange, all warriors spend the day enjoying no duties or training before gathering with all of the other Houses for the Christmas ball. Warriors will wear their best dress. Jeans and t-shirts will not be tolerated.

The Swearing.

A warrior swearing themselves creates a magical bond that allows the warrior to know the thoughts and feelings of the one they swore themselves too. Most times it is to the man or woman the warrior loves. It is to never be given or accepted lightly.

I read through the rest of the book which was mostly going over training times and whatnot. I just didn't know how I felt about my schedule being completely reversed where day time would be my night time. I prayed my body accepted the change naturally. If not, I was going to seriously hate this.