Chapter 5

My feet were killing me. All-day Saturday I was dragged around the mall with Daisy and Jocelyn till I thought I was going to fall over. Today was Sunday and when I went to the common room, I noticed everyone seemed to be excited. "What's going on, " I asked Reggie when I found him and Kylen. "They announced that this week is family visitation week and that our families will be here soon, " Kylen told me happily. "Why so last minute, " I asked with a raised eyebrow. "It's not at the last minute. The parents know well beforehand as well as the teachers. They use it as a way to surprise us. Plus if we spend the week before thinking about it, our mind won't be on our studies, " Reggie explained to me.

I nodded, "I see." Kylen and Reggie began to talk excitedly about their families being here for a whole week while I slipped out to go to the dining hall for breakfast. Everyone seemed so excited about their parents coming. I sat at a table alone as I ate. I could hear many of the conversations around the room. Apparently, there was going to be some big welcome dinner and everything.

I was snapped out of my zoning out when Azazel sat down in front of me. "I hope you don't mind, " he said. How could someone's voice be so naturally deep? "I don't mind at all, " I told him before biting off a piece of bacon. "If you don't mind me asking, why sit with me?" "Because you don't seem as overly excited about parent visitation as everyone else, " He told me. "Because I'm not, " I confessed to him. "Are your parents going to be here?" "Yes. My mother is always so excited to come and see me. As is my father, " He said with a nod. "You don't seem so excited, " I pointed out to him. "Believe me, I am. I love my parents, it's just that my mother is always worried I won't have my gift fully mastered. I'm their only child and they don't want to lose me. Plus my parents hate seeing the judgment our fellow warriors give me, " he confessed to me.

I nodded, "That's understandable." "What about you, " He asked me. "Are your parents coming?" I shook my head, "My dad walked out when I was a child, and my mom passed away when I was in high school." He didn't look at me with pity like I've gotten before when I told others the story. "I'm gonna just guess that her death and your hate for vampires are linked, " He summed up and I nodded.

"Yet you don't seem to throw that hatred towards me, " He said softly. "I try to stay open-minded and get to know them, but that dislike is just rooted there, " I explained to him. "The one responsible is still out there isn't he, " He asked me. I nodded but didn't say anything else.

He then took my napkin and pulled a pen from his pocket. He wrote his number on it and slid it over to me before standing up. I looked at it as he left. I pulled out my phone and punched the number in, saving it under Az, then texting him a quick text so he would have mine. I slipped my phone into my pocket before cleaning up and leaving the dining hall.

Once the parents arrived everyone gathered in the large courtyard where lights were strung up as well as tables with drinks and snacks were set up. The only reason I had come was that Kylen came into my room and threw a dress at me, telling me to come meet his parents. I put it on and a pair of heels he paired it with. I curled my hair and stayed light when it came to my make up. Now let's see if I have the patience to deal with the questions about asking where my parents are.

Daisy was the first to come over with her mother who had the same cheerleader smile. She also wore a sky blue pencil skirt, a pair of black Louboutins, and a white sleeveless blouse. "Mom this is my new friend Cleo. She is the first-ever female warrior, " Daisy introduced. "When you told me about a female warrior, I kept picturing this large bodybuilder woman, " Her mother said. "She eats like one, trust me, " Daisy said with a light giggle. I gave them the best smile I could muster. "Oh darling, you won't be able to keep your figure if you keep eating like that, " Her mother told me. "I work out a lot so living off of rabbit food wouldn't be good, " I told them. Her mother sighed, "And that's why it's idiotic to have marked a woman as a warrior. That's a man's job." "Only the sexist think that Patricia, " A woman who was with Jocelyn said. She had gray hair braided down her back and wore an outfit much similar to Jocelyn.

"Grams, this is Cleo. Cleo this is my grandmother, " Jocelyn introduced. I offered her a small smile, "Its nice to meet you." She shook my hand as she studied me, "You will have a hard journey ahead of you, child." I nodded, "It's been hard from the start, and I don't expect it to be any other way." She nodded and looked at Jocelyn, "You found a good one. Follow her and you'll do just fine."

Kylen and Reggie then came over with their parents. I felt like I was suffocating. "So where are your parents, " Kylen's mom asked me. "They're not here, " I answered. "That's just too bad, " She said. "They should be here to congratulate you on being the first female warrior." I didn't know what to say. I wasn't going to tell a group of strangers that my mom is dead. Luckily my phone went off, saving me.

Az: need a drink?

Me: yes plz!!!!!

Az: I'll meet you in your room

Me: K

"If you'll excuse me, " I said to them. Then walked away. I got to my room and quickly changed out of my dress and threw on a pair of sleep shorts and a tank top. I had just taken off my makeup when there was a knock on the door. I opened it and was happy to see Azazel on the other side holding two bottles of wine. I stepped back and let him in.

"Aren't you supposed to be hanging out with your parents, " I asked him. "Turns out, my mother is pregnant so her coming here took it out of her. We'll be having breakfast together in the morning, " He told me as he opened the bottles. "Congratulations, " I told him as he handed me a bottle. "Thanks, " He said. We drank from the bottles as we talked. He sat next to me, our backs against the headboard.

My bottle was halfway gone when Kylen came in. He stopped suddenly and Reggie ran into him. "Woah, am I missing something here, " Reggie asked as he looked at Azazel and I. I held up my bottle, "Having a drink with a friend. So what's up?" "We came to ask why you practically ran out of the dinner, but it's clear hanging out with Azazel is more important than your friends, " Kylen said while crossing his arms. "He's my friend too. As for running out of there, its because I was suffocating, " I snapped. "And only you two and Jocelyn are my friends. Daisy and her mom are bitches." I hiccuped slightly and mentally cursed myself. "I thought I could handle it, and be there for you guys and meet your parents, but it turns out I can't." "Are you jealous or something, because your own parents didn't bother to show, " Reggie asked me.

"My mom can't come. She can never come. Why? Because she is dead! Has been for years, " I told them. "And my dad walked out on me when I was a baby. So fuck you very much, and you can show yourselves out." "Cleo..." Kylen tried but I looked away. "I think it best if you guys go, " Azazel said. "Try again tomorrow when she has a clear head."

I didn't look up until I heard them leave the room. I took another drink from the bottle, hating myself for just blurting shit out like that. I then looked at Azazel, shocked by his silence. "You didn't tell them, " He said and I shook my head. "They didn't ask me if my parents were coming like you did. Even then they were so excited, I didn't want to dampen their moods."

I sighed, "I'm sorry for putting you through that confrontation." He shook his head, "Don't worry about it." He then took my bottle, "I think it best you get some rest. You don't want to be too hungover tomorrow. After all, we still have classes." I sighed, "I guess you're right."

"Goodnight Cleo, " He said as he stood. "Goodnight Az, " I said on his way out. He stopped for a second before leaving.