Chapter 13

Being forced to take it easy sucked. At least during that time, we fell into a form of normalcy. I wasn't the new girl everyone was unsure of. I was a student warrior just like the others.

The weapons test the guys did was pretty basic. You tried out a variety of weapons till you found the one that "called" to you. Azazel had twin swords, Kylen had a staff, while Reggie had a bow and arrows. My weapon was a whip. Of course, that resulted in some sexist comments from the others but a glare from Azazel shut them up.

Today was the evaluation for who will get to participate in the games out of all those who signed up. There had been too many who signed up for different things in the games so the Commander gets to choose who is best suited to represent our school. There can only be ten per event and a person can represent in multiple events if the Commander allows it.

"In the past, the evaluation was simply based off of what we've seen during your training sessions and what we know. This year the new High Priest thinks it's a good idea to hold a mock version of the games for the school to enjoy to help students think about other things besides the recent events, " He announced to us. You could feel the excitement in the air from the other students. "However, there is a problem with that. We have a secret weapon this year, and that is Cleo. I know many of the students will record and post videos of our mock games. Many of the other schools don't know female warriors are a thing, and I think it would really throw them off their games if we continue to keep her a secret until the actual games come around. But I thought it best to let you all decide if Cleo is given the spots for the Obstacle Course, Tug of War, and the Ball Toss."

Many had agreed and I kind of felt disappointed. I wanted to participate in the games, not be given my spot.

Commander Alec nodded, "Then it's settled then, this weekend we will host the mock games."

I huffed when I sat down next to Jocelyn in the garden. Azazel sat on a bench across from us. "What's wrong with you, " Jocelyn asked me. "She doesn't get to participate in the mock games, " Azazel told her. Her eyes widened, "Why not?" I scoffed, "Because they want to keep me as some secret weapon for the real games." She nodded, "I can see why. Most, even here, are convinced you're a rumor." I rolled my eyes, "Why does that not surprise me?"

"It'll be okay, " Jocelyn told me. "Plus think how amazing it'll be when they underestimate you and you come out on top?" I sighed, knowing she had a point. It was going to be amazing. "At least you have a guaranteed spot, " Azazel muttered while crossing his arms. "I have to go against the others."

I waved a hand, "You're incredibly skilled in combat, you'll be fine." "I'm looking forward to seeing you fight, " Jocelyn told him. "At least I know you ladies will be. The rest of the school will be betting on me to lose, " he said with a sigh. My heart clenched for him. "That's because they're idiots, " Jocelyn told him while I nodded in agreement.

Azazel shrugged then looked at me, "Any idea on what you're going to wear to the dinner?" I raised an eyebrow, " What dinner?" He sighed, "You are hopeless. The dinner that marks the beginning of the Games. There is a dinner on the first night of the Games and on the last night. The first dinner is to allow the competitors to meet and size up the competition. The last dinner is to celebrate the winners. The dinner and the Games tend to be televised for the world to watch so parents can see how their kids do. Since it's on TV, they dress to impress."

Jocelyn nodded, "They look very drool-worthy in their tuxedos. Its why we women watch the dinners." I rolled my eyes as I shook my head. Then her eyes lit up, "We need to go buy you the world's greatest dress. Make sure those guys are really thrown off." That sounded like a nightmare, "You make it sound like I'm some poster girl for the warriors." Lykos let out a huff from where he laid beneath my bench. I wasn't really creative with his name, choosing the Greek word for wolf.

"We aren't but the other schools will try to get you to transfer so they can make you into some poster girl, " Azazel told me. I sighed, not surprised at all by that.

Our peace was then ruined when Bella came walking up with Daisy, Reggie, and Kylen. "Look at this band of horrid misfits, " Bella said as she looked us over. Jocelyn crossed her arms, "Oh we are, and we wish we weren't." Bella glared at Jocelyn. I got up with a sigh while shoving my hands in my pockets. Lykos stood and stretched. I turned my back on them and began walking away.

"Look at the great first female warrior turning her back and walking away like a coward, " Daisy said. She and Bella then giggled. I stopped walking, "I find your presence annoying. I find that it's easier to walk away, instead of sitting here and dealing with your bullshit while at the same time giving myself a headache." I glanced over my shoulder and noticed Reginal and Kylen refused to look at us. I don't have time for their games. I have more important things to deal with, like figuring out what kind of dresses I'm going to wear to the dinners. The guys could get away with wearing the same tuxedo for both dinners, but I wasn't going to be so lucky.

I went back to the House of Warriors and up to my room. I laid in my bed, and scrolled through my phone, looking at different dresses online so I could get some idea of what I will be looking for so I don't spend countless hours trying on ten thousand dresses. I sighed, giving up after an hour. It was hard to picture myself so dressed up. A simple dress was one thing but red carpet? That was well out of my comfort zone. I looked at the photo of my mom. Her frame had been replaced. Something told me it is was Azazel. The heart and floral detail on the frame, only one knew what the photo meant to me. I tried to avoid it in the fight, but it was no use. Moments like this, I wish she was here to help me. You never realize just how much you need someone until they're gone.

I sighed and got up, feeling hungry. I was halfway down the stairs when I stopped suddenly when I saw a familiar face. Batair was with him. He grabbed Joseph by the back of the collar when Joseph went to approach me. The whole common room was watching. "Now lass, I know the history between you two. There will be no score settlin' here. You have a new life, Joseph. Embrace it like the lass did, " Batair told him. I pulled down my lower eyelid and stuck my tongue out at Joseph. Childish and not very classy but it was fitting given our history.

After my mom died I was thrown in the orphanage at the age of fifteen. Joseph and I were always arguing. Then we got into street fighting. "Remember, she was the one who kicked your ass so badly, I couldn't mark you until the hospital released you, " Batair reminded Joseph. Then he looked at me, "As your trainer, I suggest you keep in line or there will be hell to pay."

I saluted with two fingers, "Will do." He left, leaving only us students. Joseph gave me the deadliest of glares and I smiled in return, "How are the balls, Joseph? They still work right?" He sneered, "That was a cheap shot and you know it." "If anyone was taking cheap shots that night, it was you, " I then finished making my way down the stairs. "Our lives as street fighters are over. Let's leave it in the past shall we?" I held my hand out for him to shake. He looked at it then looked at my mark. He sighed and shook my hand. Then he smirked, "See you around comrade."

My history and relationship with Joseph was complicated and filled with mutual understanding. Now we were warriors. What's gonna happen now?