I Cant Wait

Sunday, the worst day of the week in my opinion. It's a reminder that today is your last day of not working, and that tomorrow you have to go out and deal with the world. The only good thing about Sunday, is that I don't have to go to work. That's it.
  Maybe today I should do a chore that I've been meaning to do. Nah, I'll do that stuff some other day. Then what, oh what shall I do today? Maybe somebody wants to hang out? The question though, is whom should I ask? Kyle? I don't see why not. I dialed up his number.
  "Hi Phoebe," he answered.
  "Hey, what are you up too?" I asked.
  "I'm hanging out with some friends, why?"
  "Oh okay, I was just wondering," I said trying to play it cool and not pry.
  "Do you want to come hang out with us?" He asked, surprising me.
  "Thanks for the invite, but I don't want to intrude or anything."
  "You could never intrude. Plus I want you to meet my friends," he charmed.
  "Well okay then. Where are you guys?" I asked, hoping they are somewhere close by.
  "We're at Brads house," he answered.
  "Okay, I'll just get dressed then I'll be on my way."
  "Fantastic. I can't wait to see you," what does he mean by that? I hope he realizes that we arnt dating or anything. What am I supposed to say back?
 "Okay? See ya later," I said nervously then hung up. I hope he could detect confusion in my voice, because if he did hopefully he will explain what he intended.
  Because of what he said, I'm all nervous now! What am I supposed to wear? I don't want disappoint, but then again I don't want him to think that I'm trying to impress him. I'm so conflicted! Maybe I should wear sweats and a big t-shirt. No that's to casual and sloppy, plus he might think I don't like him, which is not the message I want to send. I could wear a casual dress, and some flats. Yeah I guess that option is okay.
  Once I put on my red dress with black polka dots, and my flat brown boots, I grabbed my keys and headed to Brads house. I wonder who else is there? Hopefully I'll know some of them. Then again, he did say 'meet' which obviously means they're people I don't know. I hate meeting new people, it's so much pressure. Since Kyle is older then me, his friends probably are too, so I should probably act a bit more sophisticated then usual. Don't forget good posture Phoebe, and use big words. Wait a minute, do I really care about what his friends think of me? Yes, yes I do. Okay, just checking.
  Once I arrived I took a deep breath and knocked on the door. Knock knock knock. I stood there for a minute or two until someone finally answered the door.
  "Can I help you?" A young kid asked me. This kid must be 6 or 7, so what is he doing here.
  "Andy, why are you answering the door?" Some lady said and then stood in front of the kid.  "You must be Phoebe. Kyle's right, you are very pretty. Come on in," she opened the door, welcoming me inside. So Kyle told her that I'm pretty? Well that is flattering don't you think? Of course you do.
  "I'm Melanie, and that was my son Andy," she explained as we walked to the living room.
  "Nice to meet you," I said. I'm not really sure what else to say to her though.
  "Kyle your new girlfriend is here," she teased and sat on the couch next to some guy. Kyle got up and walked over to me.
  "Hey, I'm glad you could make it," he said as he hugged me.
  "These are my friends. Phoebe, everyone, everyone, Phoebe," he said lazily and I just smiled and waved.
  "Hi Phoebe," a guy with wavy hair and glasses stood up and shook my hand. "I'm Paul, this is my sister Angelina, that's Eddie, that's Emily and her sister Melanie and Melanies son, Andy," Paul said as he pointed to everyone as he said their names.
  "Its nice to meet you all," I said shyly. Kyle grabbed my hand unexpectedly, and walked a few steps to the couch, where we both sat down.
  "So, where is Brad?" I asked Kyle.
  "He went to get a few movies for later," Kyle explained and I nodded.
  "So, how did you meet Kyle?" Paul's sister, Angelina, asked.
  "At a wedding," I answered simply.
  "Oh how lovely. Melanie, didn't you meet John at a wedding?" Angelina asked Mel.
  "John is her husband," Kyle whispered in my ear.
  "Yeah, it was really romantic. He was the best man, and while he was giving his toast, his eyes met mine and he just stopped speaking. He told me that when he saw me, he forgot the rest of the toast. All he knew, was that he wanted to be with me," she explained and all the girls awed.
  "That is so sweet Melanie! You're really fortunate. You know my friend Allison? She met her husband at a wedding too," Emily said. I'm starting to see a pattern here. Oh no! They must think that Kyle and I are dating! Which reminds me, he's still holding my hand. This isn't good, I don't want people thinking things like that. I snatched my hand away from Kyle's hand, and when I say snatched, I literally mean snatched. It came across very rude, which was definitely not what I wanted. Thankfully though, everyone was off in their own conversations to notice it. But Kyle noticed it. He became slightly stiff and he looked at me but I avoided eye contact.
  "So Melanie, how do you know Kyle?" I quickly asked before Kyle could say anything to me.
  "He used to be married to my sister, Penelope, before she died," she answered.
  "Oh," is all I said, and everyone became silent. I shouldn't have asked.
  "So who wants some soda?" Kyle asked and before anyone was able to answer he walked into the kitchen, leaving me with these strangers.
  "What do you do for a living?" Paul asked me.
  "I work at a perfume shop in the mall," I answered.
  "Have you ever been married?" Eddie asked me. Is it just me or is that a strange question to ask?
  "No I haven't."
  "How old are you?" Emily asked. Okay what's with all the questions?
  "I'm 28," I said. "I'm going to help Kyle get the sodas," I said and stood up.
  "Hurry back," Emily said with no expression. She's creeping me out a little. Out of everyone, I think she dislikes me the most.  What’s her problem?

  “Hey, are you okay?” I asked Kyle when I arrived in the kitchen.

  “Yeah. I was just looking for the sodas. You’d think they would be in the fridge” He said as he looked in the fridge.

  “Bradley hates cold sodas,” I walked over to the pantry and pulled a 12 pack of soda out.

  “Ah thanks,” he smiled and closed the fridge. “Are you okay?” he asked me.

  “Yes. Why do you ask?”

  “You just seem kind of uneasy,” he walked over to me and put his hands on my shoulders, “is it my friends? Because trust me, they love you,” yeah I don’t know about that.

  “No, its not that,” I said quietly.

  “Oh?” he took his hands off my shoulders.

  “Its just,” I trailed off.

  “Its just what? Its okay, you know you can tell me anything,” he assured.

  “That right there. How do I know I can tell you anything? I’ve only known you for a few weeks, you could be a completely different person, and I just don’t know it yet.”

  “Do you honestly believe that? That’s why you’re uneasy?” he asked.

  “Its not just that.  I know there is something between us, but we’ve barely been on one date. Not to mention your friends think we are going to end up together or something. I’m just not comfortable with all of this,” I said avoiding his first question, because I dont really believe that he's a different person, and even though It felt good to say, after I said it, it seemed very insignificant.

  “So what are you saying?” he stepped closer too me, but not in a threatening way. “Just because my friends might think that we will end up together, you’re mad? Why does it bother you so much what they think.”

  “I want them to like me,” wait, then why do I have such a problem with the fact that they think Kyle and I will be together?

  “Why?-“ he smiled real big, “I know why. Because you like me,” he mocked and I started blushing and laughed a little.

  “You’re so full of yourself Kyle Mayberry,” I teased and he laughed.

  “Its okay that you like me. Do you know why?” he grabbed both of my hands, “Because I happen to like you too, Phoebe Martin,” he kissed me on the forehead, sending a shiver down my spine.