The Picture Locked Inside

The next few days went by slower then usual, especially at work though. I had gone apartment hunting with Andrew and I even took him and Ariel to look for jobs. Everything was going very well but I still couldn't wait for my date tonight. In fact, I'm standing in my robe, looking at my three new dresses, trying to decide which to wear. It would definitely help if I knew where we were going. I'm sure it's just dinner or something, right? What else is there anyway.

   Maybe I should call him and ask. I probably should've asked before I paid for three dresses. Just as I was about to call him, he called me.

  "Hey," I said casually.

  "Hi, how are you today?" He asked. I could hear him smiling .

  "I'm great, and I'm excited for our date."

  "Me too, that's actually why I called you."

  "Oh ya?"

  "Yeah, since we didn't decide what to do, I was wondering if you wanted to have a picnic in the park," he suggested. That sounds really nice actually. If only I had bought a park outfit.

  "I love that idea!" I replied.

  "Good, I wasn't sure if you would but it's a relief to hear you say that," he said and I smiled.

  "So should we meet there?" I asked.

  "Yeah that way if you get sick of me then you can leave," he joked.

  "That's true, and if you get sick of me then you can leave," I said and he laughed.

  "I doubt that'll happen," he said creating a slightly awkward silence, "what time shall we meet?" He added.

  "How about 4?"

  "Okay sounds like a plan. I'll see you then," he said.

  "Bye," I hung up and looked for something else to wear. Something that I know I'll be comfortable in, and something that is reliable. So that means nothing with buttons. Buttons are too unpredictable. Maybe I should wear jeans. No jeans are to uncomfortable to sit on the ground in. How about a Sun dress and a sweater? That could work, and maybe a hat? Yuck, no hat.

  So I put on my white Sun dress and a gray cashmere sweater with cute deers on it. That's my favorite sweater, and its slightly big so it's nice a cozy. I slipped on my red flats and moved onto my hair. I'm thinking a ponytail with a red bow pinned in my hair. Very nice, very nice, but I need something else. A necklace!

  As I searched through my jewelry box I found an old necklace that brought back memories. It was one that Tom had given me, it's really pretty. It's a book shaped locket and inside is a picture of him and I, when we had our first kiss. It's such a nice gift, I wish I could still wear it, but that would obviously not be a good idea.

  After I finished looking at the black and white picture locked inside, I closed the locket and put it in the pocket of my sweater. I grabbed a different necklace, one with no crazy past behind it, and put it on.

  "Well Rufus my darling, here I go," I fed Rufus and drove to the store and picked up a carton of egg nog and some pumpkin bread. Then I made my way to the park. It's only 3:40 so I didn't expect to see him, but there he was on top of the hill under a nice shady tree.

  He didn't see me yet, so I hiked up the hill to get to him. When I got to the top I saw that he already put a table cloth on the ground, and the middle sat a picnic basket, radio, and some roses. I put my egg nog, and pumpkin bread, down and came up behind him.