Those Three Words

Tom Elliot’s P.O.V.

   When Phoebe and I broke up a few years ago I was in horrible pain knowing that the girl I love, doesn’t love me back. But there was always hope that I could change her mind, which did help the pain, but now that I know her heart belongs to someone else, the pain is a million times worse.  The situation is completely out of my hands, there’s nothing else I can do; she basically told me that she wants me to distant myself from her life. She’s moved on, yet I still cant.

  “It’ll be okay Tom. It will take plenty of time to get over this, but eventually you will forget you ever even loved her,” Dave lied to make me feel better but it didn’t work.

  “She isn’t mine Dave,” I said.

  “Was she ever really yours? I don’t think anyone ever belongs someone else, its more of a sharing thing. In a relationship you share your thoughts, secret, dreams, etc. with another person, and you pretty much share your heart with them and hope that they’ll be kind with it.” Dave said.

  “She was kind with it, I was just a fool. I shouldn’t have said those three words that soon in our relationship, if I had waited a while maybe she would’ve felt differently. And we would be together right now.”

  “Was she really kind with it? You can't put the blame on yourself, its equal. You both shared the responsibility of a relationship so you’re both accountable for when it goes wrong. I love Pheebs like a sister, but she wasn’t always right when it came to your relationship.  Remember that she was the one who felt differently, and even though different isn’t always bad, it did end the relationship. I’m not saying she should have said it back even if she didn’t mean it, I’m just saying that she’s to blame too.”

  “I guess you have a point. She’s important to me and I need her to be happy, even if that means she needs to be with someone else.”

                                                                         Phoebe Martin’s P.O.V.

  After everything that happened, happened, I couldn’t stand being in such a messy house and I didn’t feel like cleaning at all.  So I drove Ellie and I to her house where she made me some waffles, and poured me some orange juice.

  As I sat in Ellie’s kitchen I starred at the homemade waffles that sit on a plate in front of me, I thought about the day.  I wish Tom wouldn’t have kissed me and made things between him and I, even more complicated. I mean the kiss was, in theory, romantic but in reality it was inappropriate. It did help clear up my thoughts about him though, all the feelings I thought I still had for him vanished today. It’s not that the kiss was bad or anything, I just didn’t feel the way I thought I might have felt, all the tingly feelings I used to have when he kissed me aren’t there anymore. Only familiarity.

  “You have to eat Pheebsy,” Ellie said.

  “I can’t stop thinking about everything,” I said.

  “You can’t think while you eat?”

  “No,” I replied.

  “Then at least drink your orange juice,” she said so I chugged the glass of orange juice down and went back to thinking.  “So what was it like when Tom kissed you? Did you feel anything?”

  “Not like I used to, it was familiar, that’s all,” I answered.

  “Interesting. Sounds like you’ve fallen out of love with him,” she said. Why is she so convinced that I loved him? Some might call what I felt for Tom love, but I just call it regular feelings. Then again how would I know? People say you know it when you feel it, but who do you know its real?

  “If you say so Ellie.”

  “And Kyle, oh my goodness what a sweetheart! Just do me a favor and if you don’t love him back don’t break up with him yet, let your feelings develop. Speaking of your feelings, how do you feel about Kyle?” she asked.

  “I don’t want to be without him, and every second I’m not with him its like time goes by so slowly. He makes me happy and feel safe, and I trust him. It’s like putting a fluffy blanket in the dryer on a cold day and then pulling it out and wrapping it around my body. I guess it’s a warm fuzzy feeling,” I said while smiling, “but that doesn’t necessarily mean I love him or anything.”

  “That’s love you idiot!” Ellie exclaimed happily.

  “But its to early to be love,” I said.

  “What?! No, its never to early for love. I knew I wanted to be with Dave the moment I really looked in his eyes, and he said that it was the same for him. I know that doesn’t seem realistic but that doesn’t make it any less true. You can call it whatever you want to, but what you feel is love.”

  “I don’t know, I just need to think.”

  “What is there to think about? You love Kyle, he loves you, what else is there to think about?” she asked.

  “What about Tom?”

  “What about him? He went too far and kissed you and now he needs to figure out his own life, and you need to figure out yours. Phoebe, talk to Kyle,” Ellie said and pushed my phone closer to me.

  “I cant do it yet, its only been a few hours since I told him that I needed to think,” I told her.

  “You said time pasts slowly when you aren’t with him, if you wait longer then, well, just do it!” she insisted.

  “Right now?” I asked.

  “Right now!” she confirmed. I grabbed my phone and dialed Kyle’s number.

  “Hi,” he answered after a few rings.

  “Can we meet up somewhere?” I asked.

  “Yeah, where?”

  “You know the park by Ellie and Dave’s house?”

  “It’s raining outside.”

  “Go to the park and stand under the big tree in the middle. I’ll meet you there,” I told him.

  “When?” he asked.

  “I don’t know, like ten minutes?”

  “Okay, I’ll see you then.”

  “Bye,” I said and hung up.

  “It’s raining outside and your meeting him at the park?” Ellie asked as she poured coffee in her mug.

  “Yes, what’s wrong with that?” I asked as I put my trench coat on.

  “You guys are going to get sick,” she said.

  “So what?”

  “At least take an umbrella.”

  “No thanks. I’ll see you later,” I said and walked towards the door.

  “Only you Phoebe,” I heard her say before I walked outside and into my car. I sat there for a minute and thought about what I’m going to say to him, I don’t know how to even start the conversation. I could start with the classic “Listen,” but I’ve never really been a fan of that type of approach. I guess it’ll just come to me in the moment.

  So here I go, I started my car and drove to the park where it was raining harder then I thought it would be. Maybe an umbrella would’ve been a good idea, oh well its to late to think like that. I walked up the hill until I spotted the big one in the middle, and there was Kyle standing right under it waiting for me. I stopped walking so I could get my thoughts together. Phoebe, just tell him how you feel and that you don’t want to be without him either. Okay I’ve got this, there’s nothing to be nervous about. Keep walking, come on legs you can do it. I began walking again until I was standing right in front of Kyle. We stood there just looking at each other as the rain poured down on us.

  “So I thought about everything and I’ve come to a conclusion,” I started. “You make me feel, when I’m with you I, you’re just so,” what is wrong with me. “What I’m trying to say is this,” I stopped talking, because that was not working out too well, so I grabbed his face and kissed him. “I love you too,” I finally said when we finished kissing and he smiled.