33

Something cold hit me while I was peacefully sleeping in bed. My eyes still closed, I feel around me and my sheets and myself were wet.

I immediately sit up and take the blanket off of me. My mom stood at the side of my bed holding a white empty bucket.

"Wakey Wakey Y/N, we have a busy day." She says and then walks out of my room. "Make sure to dry out your sheets in the sun and then come down stairs."

"Mom! Why did you do that!?" I whine after her, getting out of bed. I shuffle to bathroom and slam the door behind me.

My mom has a strawberry farm and so she takes advantage of me when I come in the summer. Pick strawberries, wash them, and then take them to town to sell them whole, jams/jellies, smoothies, and in small cakes. Ethan also helps with this as well.

I put a pair of jeans and a T-shirt and run down the stairs to find mom and Ethan preparing breakfast. (I put my bed sheets out in the sun in the process)

"Good morning."

"Morning." I reply back to him and sit on the high stool, propping my elbows on the counter.

Ethan sets the food on the counter and ruffles my hair, sitting next to me. "How did you sleep?"

"Great until I got drowned." I answer, taking a pancake. "Anyway I'm just stressed."

"Awe why?"
"It's nothing."

Ethan narrows his eyes at me. "I know you Y/N. Tell me, what's been bothering you."

I continue to eat until he asked me again. "Tell me."

...

"Please?"

He gives me those puppy eyes that I've never figured out to resist. "I'll be your best friend."

"But you're already my best friend. Besides Mark, Saera, and Maera."

"I'll be your best best friend." We lock eyes for a few seconds. I take a piece of egg and shove it into his mouth. "Fine you big goof."

~

"FRESH STRAWBERRIES GET YOUR FRESH STRAWBERRIES!"

"Mom you're so loud, could you tone it down a bit, I think I'm deaf." I said, covering my ears.

"Honey, do you want your mother to be able to live or not? This is good for the business– good morning! What would you like today?" My mom goes off to a customer, leaving me alone. Ethan was at the front of the stand, giving out free samples.

People pass by or stop to buy something, the whole time on my feet, not getting a chance to sit down. Not even a chance to drink my strawberry smoothie that I made for myself.

Night rolled by and the market was starting to quiet down. I give up on my untouched smoothie and finally sit down. Ethan sits next to as well, tired of standing as well. He sighs.

"Everyday of this." I nod in response, watching my mom taking customers by herself. Ethan looks where I was looking and sighs again. "I should go and help her." He stands back up.

"I'll come with you." I stand as well. Ethan shakes his head. "No, you sit, I'm fine." He smiles and goes over to handle customers and samples.

Getting some service, I stroll through Instagram, liking my friends posts. I come across Hoseok's and stop.

Je-ju here I come!

Shit.

"Excuse me. Excuse me Miss I need help." A guy said from the front of the stand. I snap back from my daze and go over to assist him.

"I'm sorry sir, yes what would you like?"

"You."

"What?"

"I mean I'd like a jar of strawberry preserves." He quickly answers, fixing the mask on his mouth.

Why does his voice sound so familiar?

I grin politely. "Of course." I bag a jar and hand it to him. "That'll be 1820.55 Won." "Ok." He takes out his wallet and pulls out some cash.

I take it and gasp softly. "This is a lot, take some back." I do the math and hand him his change. The guy shakes his head, putting his hands up.

"No, keep it."
"You sure?"
"Yeah, thanks for the preserves." And he walks off. I sigh and distribute the money into the register. As I was doing this, I notice a white folded slip of paper. I look around me first and then unfold it carefully.

You're still beautiful as always, stay happy.

I read it a few more times, not realizing I was crying. My tears fall onto the paper until it was completely wet it.

~

"Bye bye, see you tomorrow!" Ethan waves, about to head out the door. "Take some strawberries." My mom hands him a topper ware of strawberries. "But I have so many Ms. Kim." Ethan chuckles, taking it politely.

"No, you need more. Say hi to you're mother for me."
"Will do, bye!" Ethan walks out and closes the door behind him.

~

After I showered and ate, I lay in my bed and stare at the ceiling. There was no use in my phone since I have no service. My mother's bedroom door close shut from across the hall, signaling she's going to sleep, which means she won't move a muscle.

Thirty minutes pass and I still can't sleep. Maybe turning off the lights will help... Just as I was about to turn off my lamp, the doorbell from downstairs rings.

This late?

I lazily get out of bed to answer it, knowing my mom didn't hear it at all. I open the door and find myself face to face with Hoseok.