Chapter 3

Ian arrived at the Diner early. This was a bit different than usual. Anytime he was due anywhere, he typically would show up just on time, or even a few minutes late. Stopping at the door, he did another breath check. Convinced that he had gotten rid of the last of the alcohol smell from his body, he ran a quick hand through his hair. Finally satisfied, he entered.

He looked around the restaurant, waved to the staff as he usually did and immediately spotted Kate. She sat alone in a booth in the corner, a regal beauty in the purest sense. Ian took a minute to drink in more of of the sight of her sitting there and imagining that she actual liked him. Today, unlike yesterday, she had more of a relaxed look about her. Her soft facial features, framed by that striking hair, seemed flawless. She seemed oddly out of place in a working-class restaurant just off of Lewis & Clark Avenue. She seemed like she should be eating in the dining room of the fanciest hotels in the grandest cities. She was wearing a loose turtle neck sweater, blue jeans and did not wear any jewellery that Ian could see. Her makeup was subtle, and plain, but the impression she gave was that she was anything but plain.

She looked up, saw Ian and waved to him. Ian snapped out of his reverie, focussed on the here and now, and approached the table.

Kate, saving Ian the problem of trying to break the ice with this beautiful woman, started conversation. "I don't regularly do this...I mean meet with a potential study subject outside the somewhat professional setting of the university. But, you are different than those other adrenaline junkies I deal with."

Not knowing what to think about her assertion, Ian countered "I don't regularly try to see women who want to pick me apart psychologically. However, $25 does seem like a good reason to change my point of view."

Kate seemed slightly taken aback by his ready reply. A quick application of Ockham's Razor told Ian that a woman that beautiful is always used to getting her way. Ian liked her, so he needed to tread carefully.

Kate then released a good, seemingly nervous chuckle. The ice barely broken, she settled in to looking at the menu as she and Ian started getting down to small talk about the weather, locations, school and food.

After they had ordered, Ian broached the subject about their meeting the day before. "How did you come across our little race yesterday?"

"I was at the coffee shop when some GPSU students entered and started talking about it. They were the ones who met you at the Trailhead Monument."

"So you, wanting to meet this fool, were waiting for me at the monument too?"

"No. I don't suffer fools. I am doing some research into the 'adrenaline' junkies. However, most of the junkies I meet are of the jump from aircraft, scale a cliff, dive to the bottom of the ocean, bungee jump from a bridge variety. Each of them works solely to feed their need for adrenaline. Each of their fixes cost huge amounts of money. You, on the other hand, seem to get a kick out of risking your life and limb, on a budget, within the confines of the city here. That is different. This intrigues me."

"Well, I don't want to bust your bubble," began Ian, "but my need for speed is not so complex. I needed the money. I knew I could beat the guy, and it was an easy fifty dollars. There was nothing more to it than that." He tried to impress her by reducing the amount of his winnings.

Seeing a quick flash of disappointment in her flawless face, he retorted right away, "I would still like to see you again."

She mischievously peered back. "I'm not looking for a date here. That being said, I would still like for you to participate in the study. After all, twenty-five dollars is a lot of money" she said with a wink.

The food arrived, although Ian did not seem to notice or taste it. For the rest of lunch, they continued with small talk. Ian, still hopeful that he can develop their new relationship into something much more significant, carried his end of the conversation, trying to get a feeling about how she felt about him. He dreaded the end of the meeting, and looked forward to Tuesday's interview.