Chapter 69

Ian's taxi pulled into the airport. The air was fresh, which seemed right. The last time he was here, he was flying to Chicago beginning his adventure with the Benefactor. Now, he was flying to Fiji, ending his adventure. And a fresh, clean breeze gave a sense that the chapter had changed.

Ian saw Kate immediately upon clearing security. As usual, she was radiantly beautiful. She looked confident and happy, ready to take on the world. Ian would count himself completely lucky that she was willing to have him by her side. But, after facing and defeating both Corcoran and Gillies, Ian felt a lot more about himself. She would be lucky to have him. In fact, they would both be lucky to have each other.

"Hello, Kate."

"Hi, Ian."

"Looks like you are going somewhere."

"So do you. Someplace tropical perhaps?"

"If so, I'll still need to get sunscreen."

She giggled. "I'm so glad you called. I'm glad its all over."

"I am too. For the past year, my life has been consumed by two things. Breaking free from the situation with the Benefactor and Gillies, and you."

She smiled and looked at him tenderly. Ian could not quite put his finger on it, but something was not quite right. A very quick analysis told him the simplest reason was that he felt more for her than she him at this point in time. She was not committing.

But Ian was not concerned. This next six months was the two of them together, starting a tour of the southern hemisphere. After six months, if it truly was to be, they would be together.

"Oh," Ian said, "This is yours. It is your share of the leftover cash for the problems we went through."

Kate looked at the package in Ian's hand. Ian had shifted her cash from an envelope to a pencil case, as it was less obvious that it was cash.

She looked at him oddly. It was as if he took her completely by surprise. It took her a second to recover. But it was long enough for Ian to take notice. She smiled, seemingly brushed off the few past seconds and responded, "You keep it. If I need it, I'll ask you."

They got to their gate and found a couple of seats that were cozily placed between a part wall separating their gate from the next one and a fake plant in a planter that showed the dust of a few days on its plastic leaves. It was not seclusion, but it was enough that the other travellers in the airport would not immediately be able to tell that it was Kate and Ian sitting there. The first leg of their flight was due to board in a little over an hour, so their part of the departure lounge was filled with a little over a dozen other travellers. It would fill quickly in the minutes before boarding, so at least they had a seat.

Over the next hour, Ian found himself of dreaming of Fiji. However, with every thought of Fiji, he found himself thinking of life after Fiji, specifically working with Dave and his relationship with Kate.

"Kate," Ian opened up. "What do you think of returning to Great Plains in six months and me starting a bike courier business?"

"Why would you want to do that? I thought you were finished with Great Plains? You aren't from there?"

Ian described in quick sentences Dave's business idea, and the fact that Ian did like Great Plains/Saint Barbara.

After the explanation Kate took a deep breath. "I don't know. I want to leave Great Plains. I'm tired of the city. I want to go where I am not under anyone's thumb."

Ian thought he could relate, but he felt he needed to clarify further, "I understand, but I feel that I owe Dave a bit for helping me, and I think this is a good, exciting idea. And if it is a success, I'm certain Dave could buy me out in a couple of years and run the business himself. Then we can sail off forever."

"Let's not talk about this here. We have a few months to adjust, and perhaps we can discuss this on a beach in a while."

With that, they fell into silence. Ian did not think they were disagreeing. He had not yet described the actions at Prairie Crocus State Park and how it all fell out. While she was not sold on the idea of staying in Great Plains, he had not yet brought her into the full narrative. Time will be his aid.

Ian's thoughts were interrupted by a call over the loudspeaker at the gate. "Would LA passenger Mr. Ian Goel please come up to the counter at Gate 15 for a message."

Kate gave him a quizzical look. Ian shrugged his shoulders, stood up, picked up his carryon backpack and approached the counter.

The gate agent looked up from her monitor as Ian approached. "Yes?"

"I'm Ian Goel. You called me?"

"Oh yes, Mr. Goel. Let me see. We have a slightly oversold plane. And you have been selected to be bumped up to business class on the flight from Great Plains to LA. In LA, you'll end up back on your scheduled itinerary. Do you have your boarding pass and passport?"

Ian smiled to himself. Business class is a bonus. He did not expect that. He routinely flew, and business class was always something he saw but never experienced. He handed over his boarding pass and passport and the agent started typing away on her keyboard. He then thought of something. "I'm travelling with a friend. Is there any chance she could get upgraded to so we do our whole route to Fiji together?" He put on his most convincing smile.

The agent looked up at him and smiled back. She looked at her computer again and did a few more taps on the keyboard. Ian braced for her denying him. "I see we have one more seat in business class open. Sure, I don't see why not. What's the name?"

"Uh, Kate." Ian realised with a sudden shock, that he knew very little about Kate. He did not even her whole name.

"Is that it? Kate?"

Ian nodded. She resumed typing on her keyboard.

"No Kate, Katherine, Katelynn, anything like that. Is there a last name?"

"I don't know. We were work colleagues. I do know she was seated beside me in seat 42A. Does that help?"

"I'll see. Ah, here she is."