Chapter 67

The six of them met one last time at the Diner on Monday. There was a bit of solemnity in that meeting. Ian knew that this would see them say good bye for good.

Ian was in a mild quandary. He did not want to delay the discussion, but he also did not want to start it. He had been through a lot with these people. There were even people here he would call friends. Despite his confrontational style, Rab was one guy that Ian liked in particular. He looked around the table at his conspirators. Lauren, ever the enigma, was sitting next to Bill, who was on Ian's immediate left. Then he saw it. They were holding hands. Interesting. Moussa, on the other side of Lauren was stone-faced. Dean, who was the loose cannon, was largely subdued.

"I guess we should discuss what we do now." Ian finally broke the ice.

Lauren, following up, "Do you think we have anything to be afraid of?"

"No Lauren," Ian responded, "I don't. Gillies got arrested. Smooshface has it contained on his end and he can control the Bulldog. They are compromised and we hold the key to their not being caught. Gillies won't be able to swing his support, and the two cops are well away from us."

"I suppose the safe thing to do for us would be to separate for good."

Ian, once again replied, "Yes, Dean, that would be the safe thing to do. And this time, we need to stick to it."

Bill jumped in, "If we need to, we can. I can even help you hide your digital footprint."

Lauren squeezed his hand, a tear in her eye. Ian felt her sadness. They had bonded more than was patently obvious.

"Why don't we just lay low, and stay as friends?" asked Dean. "You guys are the only people I trust. The only ones I have ever trusted."

Rab answered tersely, "Because if one of us screws up, it brings the rest of us down." Ian saw Rab take a good look at a visibly sad Dean, saw Rab's face soften and continue, "I don't think our separation will be forever, but in a year or two, if things are still quiet, I don't see why I would not want to see anyone again."

Ian wanted to steer this conversation in a different direction or else the waterworks would start.

"OK. I talked to Smooshface on the phone yesterday. He said that we need to avoid contacting each other. If possible, we should leave Great Plains and Saint Barbara. We need to stay off the radar of the police, meaning no traffic tickets, no involvement with seedy characters, nothing. If that happens, we will not be connected to Gillies in any way."

"What about those of us who can't leave?"

"Good question, Moussa. He said that if we remain here, he can provide limited top cover. But just don't attract attention. I don't think he can offer more than that. And frankly, I would not want to."

Bill piped in, "I already said I'll track our electronic footprint. I'm also able to track Smooshface and the Bulldog. And, once everything blows over, I'll know how to get hold of everyone to organise the reunion." He turned to Lauren with a small smile.

Everyone agreed. It seemed that no one needed more convincing that they don't need to maintain contact. It seems breaking up was not hard to do.

Rab stood up. "Lauren, gentlemen. I wish you well." With that he turned to leave.

"Rab, stop." Ian called. "We aren't quite done." With that, Ian pulled out his backpack. He opened it up and pulled out small packets. He started doling them out to each of the others.

"When I searched Gillies' car, I found this. It's cash. My Ockham's Razor analysis compared whether it was bribe money, or escape money. It's far too much for him to be intending to bribe us into silence, so I suspect he was going to silence us, then flee. I've divided it up between us."

Everyone looked at the fat envelopes that Ian held. Lauren asked "OK, but what about Kate, and your buddy Dave?"

"I was going to pay Dave from my own share. There is a lot here. As for Kate, I don't know if I'll be able to get hold of her, but there is an envelope for her."

"I'll chip in for Dave," said Lauren. "It is only right."

With that said, she grabbed an envelope and opened it. Her eyes lit up at the thick wad of hundreds that welcomed her. She peeled off one thousand dollars and handed it to Ian, "For Dave." She then stood up from the table, waved a slow farewell and walked out the door.

One by one, the others followed suit giving Ian some money, shaking his hand and heading out the door. Dean was the last to go. "Thanks for being there for me." He then headed out the door.

Ian looked down. In his hand he held $5000 for Dave, and an envelope for Kate. It dawned on him right then, that it was over.