Chapter 43

Ian got back from the Diner and entered his apartment with caution. Despite his convincing speech to the others, and he did believe it too, he had some lingering doubt. He supposed it was much like the doubt everyone had when passing in an exam they did well on. Did their essay questions cover all the bases well enough? Ultimately, in an exam, he would get resolution. Unfortunately, in this situation, he could not, unless he made the problem completely disappear.

And, in order to do that, he needed to contact Kate. He felt ready to do it. He was still on a bit of an adrenaline rush from breaking Dean out of the hospital and the showdown in the Diner. He did not want to let it come down. This would help him call Kate.

He pulled out his phone, and entered his contacts. Scrolling down through the few names, Mom, Dad, Dave, he came across Kate's number. He took a deep breath, sat at his kitchen table and hit the call button. He hoped against all hope that she was there and she was willing to talk to him. As the network established the connection, he started thinking less about the real purpose for the call, finding out about the Benefactor, and more about his original purpose in getting her number, asking her out. What if she had a boyfriend now? He did not know then if she did, but if she gave him her number, she likely did not. But that was like almost eight months ago. Did she have one now? What if she moved? Hopefully, this was a mobile number, because if it was a landline, he might be calling a dead line. What if she changed her number? A spectacular woman like that probably has many crazy admirers, and Ian would not be shocked if she had to change her number often. What if she just did not answer? Well, he had the backup of going to the university, but that was dicey too.

As these bolts of concern flashed through his mind, the phone started ringing through the earpiece. One ring. What if she is not at the university? Two rings. It has been so long. Does she remember him? Three rings. What if she has no connection to the Benefactor? Four rings. How long should he hold the line? Five rings. What would he say in a message? Six rings.

"Hello."

It was her, he could tell immediately by the angelic quality to her voice.

"Uh, Hell- Erh, Hi." Krap. He was tongue tied as usual. Why did he think about not being able to contact her when he should have been thinking about being able to contact her?

"Who is this?" It was not a challenge, rather, a straightforward question.

"Um, my name is Ian Goel. We met last year. I was in a race and you wanted to interview me for some work you were doing on adrenaline junkies." He paused, hoping she would fill in the dead air.

"OK?"

Hmmm. Does she remember? "After you interviewed me, you gave me this number, and you said I should call you."

"I did? I don't remember. When was this?"

"Uh, around last September I did the race, and you interviewed me near the beginning of October." Ian realised that even those details were becoming a bit unclear. He was not nailing dates like he should.

"Oh?" The increase in pitch told Ian she had had an "Eureka" moment. "Ian, the East Indian student from GPSU? We had coffee?"

Bingo. She remembered him! But this told him two things too. One, she had a hard time remembering him, so if she was recruiting him to work for the Benefactor, that was a bad sign she was a link to him. And two, at least he was memorable enough that going on a date with her might very well be possible. He needed to confirm that she had no contact with the Benefactor. After all, maybe someone else in her lab was the nexus. To Ian's best recollection, none of the others stated that they were involved in lab situations with a gorgeous scientist. Maybe there was someone near her.

In the end, given this development, he did not want to accuse her of working for the Benefactor and he wanted to initiate a good friendship with her that may develop into something more.

"Is there a reason you called? I must have given you my number last year."

"Oh, uh, yeah, uh..."Get a grip Ian, you can do this. "I have been really busy with a job that is ending soon, and I came across your number, and I was wondering if you wanted to go out to dinner with me one night?" That sounded good.

"I don't know if I want to go out to dinner with a stranger." Bad sign, start thinking of ways to convince her otherwise. "But, I'd go out for coffee with you." Good sign.

"Remember where we met last time? A diner?"

"Right off Lewis and Clark. Next to a park. Yeah, I remember it."

"Yes. Exactly. The Sunshine Diner. We can meet there. What time is good for you?"

"Friday evening?"

Krap. Friday, he had a shift at the gas station. The one Dean was usually bailing out on. Given that he took over Dean's shifts it would be terribly unfair to his co-workers, especially Dave, if he skipped that shift. "Yuck. Friday does not work for me, I work until ten."

"OK, we'll meet after ten. At the Diner at 10?"

"Uh, can't be the Diner at that time. It closes at nine. But there is a pub on Lewis and Clark in the same neighbourhood. Called the Explorer. I can meet you there shortly after ten?"

"I'm not a big pub fan, but I'm certain that if we meet there, we can adjust to more comfortable spots afterwards."

Excellent! "OK, I'll see you then. Bye." With a cheerful word, she hung up.

Ian was stoked. He was going to see her again. He had his shot at this woman that was so much out of his league. He needed to be on his best game on Friday.

And no small part of him desperately hoped she had nothing to do with the Benefactor.