Chapter 66

This would be the greatest sting that any of them had ever seen, not that they had much experience in sting operations. Ian formally introduced Dave to the rest, and thankfully, they accepted him.

Dave got himself ready, borrowing what he could to act as camouflage. He took the camera, Bill showed him how to hook up the contraption with the radio, and he was ready for bear. The others were ready too. Ian felt himself unready, but he could not think of anything that he could do to make himself feel truly ready.

Ian tried one last time to get Kate to come with them to the park for the showdown. She never answered. Was she too scared of the situation? Was she annoyed with him? Unfortunately, he did not have time to figure it out. He would have to wait until they were all done before he tried to resolve the difficulty.

He really wanted her here. After all, she had lived under the yoke of oppression by both the Benefactor and Gillies for a long time before Ian and the others became involved. She just wanted out, and so did Ian. Unfortunately, she is not going to be there when they finally get free. Afterwards, she and he could get together and start looking forward to a life where they were the masters of their own destiny.

He pulled out the plain white envelope and read it once again. "Ian, Gillies has severed ties with Collins and Dumont. He is heading to Prairie Crocus State Park alone. I believe he wants to bribe you into silence. He owns an old rifle, but I don't believe he even knows how to use it. I hope you accept his offer for silence. I miss you. Call me when it is done. Love, Kate."

This information was great. Ian now knew with some confidence that they would not have too many complications. The fact that Gillies only had one rifle matched what Bill had discovered earlier. Severing ties with crooked cops made sense. This might go off cleanly. However, something kept Ian's suspicions aroused.

They climbed into two separate cars for the drive to Prairie Crocus State Park. Ian jumped into the back of the car driven by Lauren. Dave jumped in beside him. Bill was riding shotgun.

"You ready for this?"

"I think I am. You've been doing this for a year?"

"Yeah, we have. This is the fifth time we've done something akin to a showdown since we started."

"Five times. Wow."

"You comfortable with what to do?"

"Yeah. I am to follow you guys. But be far enough back, and to the side, so that anyone observing your group does not see me. If you are being followed, I am to try to get identifying video of whoever is following you. When you get to your rendez-vous, I am to turn on the video recorder and keep it running, even if I have no visual. This will record the dialogue captured by the microphone you are wearing. If I can, I am to get a visual record showing the guy you are meeting. After the meeting is done. If things go well, you will walk away from the meeting site with both hands on your head. If I see that, I can cease recording and make my way back to the cars as quickly as possible. You don't want to wait for me because that might raise suspcions with whomever you are meeting. Once at the car, I hide nearby until you guys get back, at which point I'll jump into the car with you. If things don't go well at the meeting, you will walk away with no hands on your head. I am to capture as much information as possible on video and once the guy you are meeting makes to leave, I then make it to the car. You will be waiting for me. Did I miss anything, wut?"

Ian was suitably impressed. A quick plan that was loosely pieced together was absorbed by Dave in a single telling. And it was coherently repeated back. Ian's feelings about getting Dave involved in this situation were slightly relieved. "That note that was left with me said that Gillies is going to be alone, so no dirty cops. He is bringing some money to try to bribe us into silence. It also said that he owns a weapon, but he won't have it. This looks like it is going to be a straight, down and dirty, negotiation."