Chapter 18

Ian was thankfully alone at the bus stop. He took the time while there to take stock of his emotions and unpack all that had happened since his walk down Broadway less than an hour ago. He did not like the fact that he was being manipulated, and it disturbed him that he was unable to have as much control over his destiny as he wanted or needed.

As for the reality he was facing, it was bleak if he strayed from the path laid out for him. He re-evaluated his situation as he saw it. He was basically coerced into robbing a bank. This robbery was a fake robbery so that the bank would secure their vault. Once the vault was secure, the other three, Bill, Mark and Moussa, would break in and make a mess of the safety deposit boxes, with the exception of one. That one would have the package inside taken. Ian would get the team to safety and await the time to drop off the package.

He mused over the wherefore and whys of doing this job. What was the rationale behind this? Why was he being manipulated as such?

If he applied Ockham's Razor to this, he could get a better idea. Why would one rob a bank for only one package? The simple solution was obvious. The package contained something of value. But why take just that one, and not the other valuables in the safety deposit boxes? This would mean that the value is beyond monetary value. It would mean that this is a power package. It would give the bearer a position of leverage and power for the possessor. This would entail either valuable information such as industrial secrets, or blackmail materiel.

Industrially, this was the simplest solution. After all, why the massive dispensing of funds unless there was a massive financial payoff at the end. Blackmail would require knowledge before hand, and was too risky. The industrial angle made sense, was simple, and matched Ockham's Razor.

Thinking that he now had an advantage, he would conduct the robbery. Then knowing what he now knew, he could use it to leverage a bit more of a benefit from the Benefactor, by doing a de facto blackmail. Give me more, or I go to the cops. This should be enough to get him debt free, well at least free from the debts that had people phoning him.