Chapter 44

Ian got to the pub far later than he had wanted. He tried using the "business is slow" routine to have his shift curtailed, but an unusual late rush of vehicles for a Friday night ensured that he needed to remain on the pumps right until his shift ended at ten. Then a mad dash home on his bike, and the necessary shower all added to the time delay in arriving. He walked in the door to the Explorer almost an hour after he had arranged to meet Kate. Inauspicious beginning, and terrible first impression.

The pub was an ordinary watering hole, with heavily stained wood interior mocked up to resemble what one would think would be a British pub. The room was long and skinny, with the bar running along the left, and wooden tables with chairs running the length of the room. At the far end, next to the rest rooms, there was a small stage where a three-piece band would fit if none of the band members moved during their performance. Ian had never seen a band play here, but he had been in here plenty of time. However, he was certain that in years past, this place was probably hopping with music.

He immediately saw her the second he crossed the threshold. She was sitting at a table near the bar, about one third the way down the pub. She was wearing jeans and a dazzling blue shirt that accented her dark hair beautifully. She definitely appeared more feminine than when at the university, but her actual beauty outshone his imagined beauty. She was partially turned away from him, and in front of her sat a cocktail glass, empty save for a few ice cubes and a straw. She did not look like she was getting ready to leave, but she also had an air of annoyance that told Ian she could leave at any second with no second thoughts.

He walked down to the bar, offering a polite wave to the bartender and pulled out a chair at the table directly opposite her.

Kate looked up at him with those glowing green eyes as he sat down and smiled. That was a good sign. "I was hoping you'd make it here. I was going to give you fifteen more minutes before I left. Late night at work?"

"Um, yeah, you would not believe it. I tried getting off early, and that is when it seemed everyone in Great Plains/Saint Barbara needed gas."

She chuckled mildly at that. Was she laughing at his words, or the fact that he is working at a gas station?

"That's great. It's a good thing too. When we talked the other day, I had forgotten that I worked on Friday too. I got here a few minutes after 10, and I hoped that I had not missed you."

"Well, then, it's good we were both late. Did you want another drink?"

"Sure. I'll have another."

She smiled at him and he smiled back. She looked great, her green eyes were glowing, and her perfume was intoxicating. The bar was small but he could detect the scent of adventure about her.

"Pete, one more for my friend," Ian quickly glanced at Kate to see her reaction, "and I'll have a pint of your good stuff."

Pete nodded and began preparing the order. Ian looked at her, decided that she must be enjoying his company, and relaxed. Almost immediately, he was no longer at a loss for words.

Over the course of three drinks and ninety minutes, Ian and Kate shared quite a bit. There was lots of talk about school, her study on adrenaline junkies, growing up, likes and dislikes regarding movies and music as well as, of course, politics.

"One thing I don't get" opined Kate sitting in the chair next to Ian with her head resting on her hand looking directly into his eyes "is the big focus on religion in this country. It drives everything."

"I know. Back home, even though it is so liberal, religion is a dominant force in our politics."

"Ah. I'd really love to see India."